Mr Nuhi Windows server 2008 to workstation..

re*s.t.a.r.s.*2

Hey There Mr Nuhi

I've got this question, I installed server 2k8 and made to workstation, sidebar, Aero, super..., Disabled IE tought securitiy, make it a full workstation,, Could be posible to do this in a uncomming Vlite version?

Just asking you know becouse server looks strong and fast, better I think that SP1 Vista...

Jus my thoughts.... thanks

I don't get who would buy Server to use as a workstation.

And if it is acting faster than SP1 then it is just because of some priority tweaks, nothing that gave you performance for nothing.

See in SP1 is there a background/foreground priority switch and compare to Server setting.

And if it is acting faster than SP1 then it is just because of some priority tweaks, nothing that gave you performance for nothing.

See in SP1 is there a background/foreground priority switch and compare to Server setting.

I keep reading over the internet that people are seeing the OS is overall much faster than Vista is with SP1.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep reading over the internet that people are seeing the OS is overall much faster than Vista is with SP1.

mostly hype m8

i was running server 2008, but switched back to v64 and i'm not seeing much of a difference, if any tbh

mostly hype m8

i was running server 2008, but switched back to v64 and i'm not seeing much of a difference, if any tbh

For me aplications starts way faster, better tranfer files, My games rocks, good ping in games, no stutters and i have same amount of memory becouse I have two partitions, I see differences maybe not in performance becouse will have to do some bench on both but I see it in responsiveness....., in business SP1 I get stutters and my hardisks trash a lot, ping is really bad, as for using it only as server is not worth it the effort, but for workstation enabling all the workstation has, its worth every penny...

Vista SP1 and 2008 Server have the same kernel. So 2008 Server cannot be more powerful. You can see some differences just because it has less of applications, services installed by default.

i have been reading around the net that IT users got free serial in msdn and use it as workstation or whatever

its not alot but something

Guest xlnet

winsxs folder on windows 2008 is 2.8GB, on the same laptop with vista sp1 (same programs, more or less) it was 15GB...

Performance is the same, can be even worse with database server running. Windows 2008 on workstation/laptop makes sense only in case you develop for Windows 2008 and want to test everything before you upload to the production server. What I really miss is Media Center :(

Is there a way to find what's removed when you remove Media Center from Vista iso?

Edited by xlnet

• 3 weeks later...

"And if it is acting faster than SP1 then it is just because of some priority tweaks, nothing that gave you performance for nothing.

See in SP1 is there a background/foreground priority switch and compare to Server setting."

In the articles online the 17-20% performance difference was benchmarked with things turned off in Vista and things turned on in Server 2008 (essentially the "Workstation" setup) so that they were running the same programs and services.

If it is just as simple as disabling some services and changing some priorities to get Vista to perform the same as Server 2008, would it be possible to create a patch or how to to change the Vista settings to that of Sever "Workstation" 2008?

Edited by strengthofmind

If it is just as simple as disabling some services and changing some priorities to get Vista to perform the same as Server 2008, would it be possible to create a patch or how to to change the Vista settings to that of Sever "Workstation" 2008?

Easy! If you have the time, vLite your vista sp1 down to nothing, and make successive builds adding what you need to get your progs/games running. You'll be amazed at the speed of your minimal install, but it takes quite some time.

If you don't have much time, the biggest culprits in my experience are (in no particular order): Windows Defender, System Restore, SuperFetch and Windows Search.

Pick those you can live without and watch the speed soar!

Also, you can (should!) customize task scheduler tasks, there's a huge load of bull there. If you can live without it you could uninstall that too. Media Center and lots of other stuff use it thought so.........

Then, if you have enough ram, disable your paging file, that's another big performance improvement. Delete the file after a reboot, and once your install is good, defrag your disk (use contig or power defragmenter (contig gui) if you remove the vista defrag).

Lastly, check your startup programs. MsConfig some of the trash out for moooooooooore speeeeeeeeeeed!!!

Thanks for the tips. Is it safe to remove the majority of stuff from the Scheduler?

I found this site which was quite handy:

http://www.speedyvista.com/services.html

I downloaded the VistaTweaked.bat and changed a few values to re-enable Aero, Firewall, connection detection and Update and disabled Search.

There isnt much that's actually useful in the scheduler. To prove my point, i'm running with it uninstalled. I wouldnt recommend doing that if you're not sure, but at least take a look at what's in there (be careful with your sanity, the interface is horrible) and disable the obvious stuff (like the media center things).

The vista firewall is also a bit of a hog, but for most users i recommend leaving it on. Since i'm on a secure network and have safe computing habits i don't have it installed either. Aero takes little to no resources, i recommend not turning it off unless you dont like it.

For the services i dont recommend playing with them too much besides those that are removed by vlite, it can be pretty frustrating to look for problems caused by missing services since they all build on one another.

The best use of your time in optimizing your vista pc is definitly put on testing vlite builds. If you have lots of time, start from nothing and build up till all your apps work. If you have little time, start from everything and remove all you are sure you wont use.