why is t-orrent a censored word

If words are coming up censored then there is a viable reason.

Then may I inquire the reason behind censoring the specific word I asked about?

Use common sense and do not attempt to bypass/circumvent the bad word filters.

Apologies :( I only bypassed it so people would know which word I was talking about. 7 asterisks could be many words.

Edited by anonymous_user

It's no problem and it's a valid question, and I believe it to be acceptable to bypass the filter for the sole purpose of asking the staff a question about the word in question. :)

xper or Martin L would have to answer why it is censored however.

Perhaps. But there are legitimate uses for *******s, too. Some of the update tools recommended on these forums (ryanVM, etc) use *******s to distribute their packages. Many OSS projects distribute through *******s, i.e. Open Office.

It would make sense to at least show it as t******, so that we have a clue about wtf they're talking about. Also, censoring ******* isn't going to stop people from linking to them. Although illegal use of *******s should be discouraged, I do not think this is an effective way to do so.

Theres nothing bad about torrents.
Thats a great question
Perhaps. But there are legitimate uses for *******s, too. Some of the update tools recommended on these forums (ryanVM, etc) use *******s to distribute their packages. Many OSS projects distribute through *******s, i.e. Open Office.

It would make sense to at least show it as t******, so that we have a clue about wtf they're talking about. Also, censoring ******* isn't going to stop people from linking to them. Although illegal use of *******s should be discouraged, I do not think this is an effective way to do so.

Thats an excellent point

I don't live in the US so I use *******s mainly for TV shows

Terminator the Sarah Connors Chronicles

COPS

Lost

etc... we don't get these channels

So *******s aren't all bad

Edited by ricktendo64

Considering the shifting sands of what is okay and what is not okay, the word "legal" only applies in some places and not others. For instance, it is perfectly legal to sell something you have bought here in Austria. In fact, it is a basic priciple and right. This clashes with MS's idea of non-transferability and they have lost when it has been tested. It is still "illegal" in America to sell some versions of its OS software due to the non-transferability clause in the EULA, but even though they still include that clause here, it has been deemed invalid.

I know this is a minor issue, but the point is that the whole issue of legality is very much politcally based and not static. Downloading for many whether by t*****s or straight single server acceses is more like picking up broadcast ransmissions with a radio. They feel if it is out there, they have a right to sample it and no one has the right to tell them it is "illegal" to do so. In this country as in England, the government taxes radios and televisons, so you pay for the broadcasting whether you like it or not. Also, here as in the US and Canada buyers of cassette tapes and blank CD and DVD media have been paying a tax for years which goes to the the likes of the RIAA and MPAA supposedly to compensate them for folks who copy their stuff. They are still collecting money and at the same time going after people who downl;oad and copy their stuff to CDs. Isn't that a tad hypocritical? Like having cake and eating it too? You betcha. And your politicians have been going along with it. but is it all really "illegal"??? I'd venture to say that it is not under the circumstances - but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

The issue of software is a different issue because there isn't the two-faced hypocritical stance taken, but a straight forward one. but there are choices there. A friend of mine has almost completely weaned himself of MS and with the latest configuration of PostFix he'll be able to get rid of Exchange server at last. So it can be done.

T******s aren't the problem. They are just a distribution method and Bram's Bit******* has worked hard to legitimize the whole scene. Why are discussions about them not allowed? Don't know, but I'll guess it's because it cuts down on the work for the admins and mods here. Nobody wants to police the vast number of posts here for questionable links. They probably reason that anyone interested in that scene will soon find all the sites they need to with a little research and we don't need to get into it here. I don't believe it is an attempt to silence genuine discussion at all.