Auto login to domain account...

I need to autologin to the domain once, as part of my PC build process, but it seems to default to logging into the local PC rather than the domain. What am I doing wrong? Here is what I've tried so far...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="USERNAME"
"DefaultPassword"="PASSWORD"
"DefaultDomainName"="DOMAIN"
"AutoLogonCount"=dword:00000001
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

I've also tried a more complex version I found on the internets:

[code]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

"DefaultUserName"="USERNAME"
"DefaultPassword"="PASSWORD"
"DefaultDomainName"="DOMAIN"
"AltDefaultDomainName"="DOMAIN"
"CachePrimaryDomain"="DOMAIN"
"AutoLogonCount"=dword:00000002
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

This 2nd code works MOST of the time. On the times it doesn't work, if I hit cancel then hit CTRL ALT DEL, it automatically logs in without me typing anything...

What are you hitting cancel to exactly? maybe post a screenshot? I've never setup an auto login after install on my builds, but maybe I'd learn something and be able to help you out a bit better. Is it an option to disable CTRL+ALT+DEL on logon screen via AD GPO?

What are you hitting cancel to exactly? maybe post a screenshot? I've never setup an auto login after install on my builds, but maybe I'd learn something and be able to help you out a bit better. Is it an option to disable CTRL+ALT+DEL on logon screen via AD GPO?

I hit cancel on the XP logon screen, then CAD, and suddenly the autologin works... its very odd.

Your problem is this value. The rest of the first section is spot on, but just drop AutoLogonCount and you should be OK. Just make sure you're not using autologon after mini-setup b/c it'll get disabled when setup decrements the counter specified in unattend/sysprep, just like it does with this registry value.

Your problem is this value. The rest of the first section is spot on, but just drop AutoLogonCount and you should be OK. Just make sure you're not using autologon after mini-setup b/c it'll get disabled when setup decrements the counter specified in unattend/sysprep, just like it does with this registry value.

But if I take out that value, won't it autologon forever? I just want to do it once, and I'm not setting it via unattend.txt or sysprep because I can't use either of those to logon to a domain account...

Gotcha, sorry I didn't read carefully enough. I thought you just wanted to autologon. So the logon prompt is coming up and if you cancel that and hit CAD again it steps thru just fine. When you have the logon prompt up, exactly what values are listed for each field?

Gotcha, sorry I didn't read carefully enough. I thought you just wanted to autologon. So the logon prompt is coming up and if you cancel that and hit CAD again it steps thru just fine. When you have the logon prompt up, exactly what values are listed for each field?

The "problem" that I see is that it appears to be trying to log on to the local PC, rather than the domain. But like I said, after I hit okay and CAD again, it logs in. Im so confused...

Sorry, I forgot to get back to you. Seems that the DefaultDomainName key is being set to the computername during setup. I forget if that's the default action, but I think so. You may want to use something like GuiRunOnce to run a req add and set the value of DefaultDomainName to your domain.

Sorry, I forgot to get back to you. Seems that the DefaultDomainName key is being set to the computername during setup. I forget if that's the default action, but I think so. You may want to use something like GuiRunOnce to run a req add and set the value of DefaultDomainName to your domain.

I'm setting those values now using cmdlines.txt. I don't think GUIRunOnce will work, as I can't log on. And I can't remember if I left this (key) piece of info out, but this login error doesn't happen every time.

I really wish I could just go back to logging on with a non-domain account, as this is a PITA...

Right, forgot my timeline there. When this does fail is the domain name listed in the "logon to" field or is it the computername? I'm wondering if the cmdlines.txt command is not being set or the value is being reset afterwards for some reason, but you need to find out what that registry value is when it fails.

Right, forgot my timeline there. When this does fail is the domain name listed in the "logon to" field or is it the computername? I'm wondering if the cmdlines.txt command is not being set or the value is being reset afterwards for some reason, but you need to find out what that registry value is when it fails.

I've used remote registry and all the values seem to be correct. On a new google search, I saw someone mention setting the username as 'DOMAIN\USERNAME', I'm wondering if that will help me.