Bigger Computer Monitors = More Productivity

MikeyHunt

Interesting comments, keep 'em coming.

There seem to be many people who'd rather have two smaller screens (17-20"), but maybe that's because very few has used 27"+ monitors?

There's a limit when it's getting too big, but where is that?

I've done both, and I found that 2 monitors were very useful when I had two, but now that I've gotten used to one big monitor (and yes, one 30" is about as big as you want to go unless you want to do your computing a few feet away from your desk), I find that the middle break is annoying. I am limited to where I put windows (nothing can be right in front of me, I have to look right and left) and maximizing windows is something I rarely do - normally I just set a size, close and reopen, and keep it that way.

That would p*** me off having to resize and reposition windows, rather then drag to one desktop and full screen. I reckon a 30" would be bad for your eyes, because its going to be focused on a screen too much with out a background. Now that cannot be good. You'll turn into a real square eyes.

I've done both, and I found that 2 monitors were very useful when I had two, but now that I've gotten used to one big monitor (and yes, one 30" is about as big as you want to go unless you want to do your computing a few feet away from your desk), I find that the middle break is annoying. I am limited to where I put windows (nothing can be right in front of me, I have to look right and left) and maximizing windows is something I rarely do - normally I just set a size, close and reopen, and keep it that way.

If the divider down the middle annoys you, how about 3 displays? One big-ish (~27") in the middle + two slightly smaller ones on the sides (19-20") gives you a wide area to work with, centered on one display. Of course, I don't have one of these, but if I could I would. :whistle:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001076.html

Another opinion...

If the divider down the middle annoys you, how about 3 displays? One big-ish (~27") in the middle + two slightly smaller ones on the sides (19-20") gives you a wide area to work with, centered on one display. Of course, I don't have one of these, but if I could I would. :whistle:

You mean something like this...:whistle:

2008-03-06-Desk_setup_thumb.jpg

24" in the middle, and 20" to the sides. :)

Yea, we've got a 30" Apple Cinema display in our lab, and it's simply gorgeous. Part of my problem with owning one would be that it simply wouldn't fit vertically on my desk at home. :lol:

You mean something like this...:whistle:

2008-03-06-Desk_setup_thumb.jpg

24" in the middle, and 20" to the sides. :)

-drool-

Yes, that's what I mean. ;)