Change product key = change version?

arctirus

I installed a copy of Vista business that I haven't yet activated. Since installing I got a free copy of ultimate from the "heroes happen here" event. If I change the product key to that of the ultimate version will I have ultimate or will I have to reinstall to get the added features?

If you get an Anytime Upgrade DVD, it has ALL versions of Vista on it. There's a 32bit and a 64bit DVD. They're single layer disks. You may choose to install without a product key, but you will later need a key that is for the version you installed.

If you want a single version custom install disk, use vLite with the Anytime Upgrade DVD. It's possible to strip it down enough to fit on a CD-R.

If you have a computer with an OEM install of Vista, it's possible to "upgrade" to a better version while keeping it as a pre-activated OEM install. I won't elaborate further on that method. (It is handy to go from Home Basic to Ultimate with a paid upgrade, without the hassle of phoning home to MS to activate it.)

The OEM license files used by each OEM are *identical* for all versions of Vista, at least for the 32bit versions. In other words, Acer's license file for a $400 laptop running Home Basic is the same as the file on a $1,200 desktop running Ultimate.

What's different is the OEM key for each version of Vista. Some OEMs use a single key for each version, others have two or more. If you have two different PCs from the same OEM, running the same version of Vista, it's most likely they have exactly the same OEM key. The key on the label on the outside of your OEM PC is NOT the OEM key.

It's easy to backup the OEM license file. Look for a folder under %systemroot% (which is usually c:\Windows ) named OEM. Copy that folder and contents somewhere else where it won't get deleted.

Two more things you need (in addition to an Anytime Upgrade DVD) are the OEM key for the version of Vista you wish to install- for the OEM that made your PC, (in other words, if you have an Acer PC and Acer OEM license file, you can't use an OEM key from DELL), and a specific command-string for a script file that comes with Windows Vista. That reinstalls the OEM license file and completely de-activates the requirement to phone home to MS to activate Vista. (Good job, Microsoft! Include the h4x0ring tools to crack Vista's activation with Vista.)

If you want OEM keys and that script command... STFI.

P.S. Of course you should pay for any upgrade to Vista and only use this OEM thing to eliminate the inconvenience of Microsoft treating you like a parent who doesn't trust you with his teenage daughter.