Adding new HDD, what files to keep

ButchN

So I don't have to go through the validation process & it telling me my copy of XP has been activated more than 5 times, what files can I copy from my old drive to the new drive after I install XP home again & make XP "normal" when it's all said & done on the new drive?

I did search, but I do not know the exact term I'm looking for so I came up with many validation issue threads, but I saw none for what I'm asking.

Thanks.

You said you were "Adding" a new HDD. If that is the case, you don't need to do anything. Just add the drive.

However, I think you're replacing the old with new. In that case, the above answer might help.

If you have ghost, you may ghost the installation and restore to the new drive. Or you can use TrueImage.

• 1 month later...

Well guys I finally got around to installing, not adding, my bad on the wording, the new drive.

I tried copying the wpa.dbl file, nope, still had to call & go through the crap of reactivating XP, again.

So much for that page's info, well for my instance anyway.

Or get the Corp. Edition of XP. You'll never need to activate again. :)

I believe you are referring to the Site License version of XP.... "Corporate" edition is the term for pirated versions of Windows and probably isn't allowed to be discussed here. :hello: