Need KB872789, I did the Contact MS thing, no response.

I have the Fast User Switching problem the is mentioned in KB872789 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/872789).

I submitted a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. No response. SP3 may have it, but I also read SP3 makes you enter you key after 30 days. That is another topic.

Also, what's the deal with %20 or %2F or %3F or %3D being inserted in links and file names. Its annoying when saving a web page or file. The links in this post have them! The links will surely fail.

Article ID : 872789

Last Review : August 29, 2007

Revision : 2.0

SYMPTOMS

When you use the Fast User Switching feature in Microsoft Windows XP, you may experience one of the following symptoms:

• If you switch to a different user and then log off as that user, a blank screen with a blinking cursor is displayed and Windows XP stops responding.

• When you try to restart the computer, the "System is shutting down" screen is displayed and Windows XP stops responding.

CAUSE

This problem may occur if the keyboard layout is corrupted when it is freed from memory.

RESOLUTION

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next service pack that contains this hotfix.

To resolve this problem, submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451 (http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=6294451)

Note If additional issues occur or any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. To create a separate service request, visit the following

Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)

Prerequisites

To install this hotfix, you must first install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

For additional information about how to obtain Windows XP SP2, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322389 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389/) How to obtain the latest Windows XP service pack

Restart information

You must restart your computer after you apply this hotfix.

Hotfix replacement information

This hotfix does not replace any other hotfixes.

Hotfix file information

The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.

Date Time Version Size File name

--------------------------------------------------------

19-Aug-2004 16:09 5.1.2600.2507 1,835,776 Win32k.sys

STATUS

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.

MORE INFORMATION

For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

824684 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824684/) Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO

• Microsoft Windows XP Professional

• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Keywords: kbqfe kbhotfixserver kbwinxppresp3fix kbfix kbbug KB872789

Receiving a Reply from MicrosoftYour ability to receive e-mail from Microsoft may be affected by any e-mail filtering software you have installed on your computer. When you send Microsoft a request for customer service either by submitting through an online form or writing to us at an e-mail address, Microsoft replies to you using the e-mail address you provided in the form, or the e-mail address that you used to send Microsoft your original e-mail.

To make sure that you can receive a reply from Microsoft, please take one of the following steps:

Add the "microsoft.com" domain to your e-mail "safe list”.

If your e-mail program settings do not let you add e-mail addresses to a "safe list," use the Help section or contact your e-mail/Internet provider's Customer Support to research your configuration options.

Disable your e-mail filtering "SPAM" software.

Failure to follow at least one of these steps may prevent you from receiving a response to your submitted question. If you have not received a response to your inquiry within 24 hours, you may also try checking your “bulk mail” or “junk mail” folders.

Edited by kd6aaj

Yep, I did. But it is less than 48 hrs. Argh, why have cable modems if we have to wait for humans.

Anyway, I wonder why they don't just post a link for a download with all the other unneccessary updates they have?

I guess I'l wait and live with the issue a few more days.

Thanks for the response :)

Did you use the Hotfix request form for that hotfix? It usually takes 24 - 48 hours, but you get an email with a link to download the hotfix and a password good for a few days.

Hi kd6aaj,

You don’t need this update KB872789 because it will not replace the target file in your system.

At least if you have installed the Security Update KB925902 (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-017)

Vulnerabilities in GDI Could Allow Remote Code Execution (925902)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS07-017.mspx

Download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=F82EA184-945F-4B78-9463-10AC20A75020&displaylang=en

Your intended hotfix contains this file:

Win32k.sys // version 5.1.2600.2507 // date 19-Aug-2004

That is earlier than KB925902:

Win32k.sys // version 5.1.2600.3099 // date 08-Mar-2007

Check your system and verify the version of your file. Possibly your problems could not be related to this archive.

Regards, ;)

Anderton.

My version of win32k.sys is 5.1.2600.3244 created 8-23-2001 5:00AM.

The date modified is 10-31-2007.

It may have been an older version before, but I just updated to SP3-RC2.

Still have the same problem, though, so SP3 doesn't have it.

Wht happens is, if a user is logged on, but the screen saver kicked in so the login screen comes up. If I log in with another user, then log back out, sometimes it just goes to the black screen with a blinking cursor instead of returning to the login screen showing the other user is logged in.

Edited by kd6aaj

You don’t need this update KB872789 because it will not replace the target file in your system.

At least if you have installed the Security Update KB925902 (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-017)

It's more than just the file version, it's also QFE vs GDR version of the file. The fix is ONLY in the QFE version, and 872789 includes only the QFE version (which is why it was suggested). However, 925902 also includes the QFE version, but it includes the GDR version (it's public, so it includes both) and GDR is the default install unless you've already got QFE binaries on the box (once QFE, you stay QFE until the next SP when everything goes back to GDR).

He could install 925902 manually with the /B:SP2QFE switch to install the hotfix QFE (and get the fix from that package as well), but it's included in XP SP3 (or is supposed to be), but I don't know if it's in 3311 (RC2) or not.

My version of win32k.sys is 5.1.2600.3244 created 8-23-2001 5:00AM.

If you have this file version and you have SP3 RC2, I would suggest waiting until RTM. If you install SP3 RTM (which should include these two fixes) or go back to SP2 and get the QFE of this on your box as previously mentioned, and the problem still occurs, then either this isn't the actual problem, or the fix isn't working (my money would be on a, but b is always possible - not probable, but possible) and a call to Microsoft (it's free if it's for a hotfix not working case) should help. However, if you aren't married to SP3, or you need to go back to SP2, you will need to install 925902 manually with the /B:SP2QFE switch, or attempt to install 872789.

Version info on the SP3 I installed:

windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe

File Version = 6.2.0029.0 (SRV03_QFE.031113-0918)

(I notice it says QFE)

Product Version = 6.2.0029.0

CRC32 = 926BE4BF

Win32k.sys

file size = 1,801kb

Product Version = 5.1.2600.3244

CRC32 = 64E84903

I'll see if I can replace it, and see if that's the problem.

Thanks.

Still no response from Microsoft...

None of the downloaded KB articles will install on SP3, and I can't figure out how to overwrite a newer version of the file, so I'll just see if the Official SP3 comes out.