7-zip sfx creation "Parameter Inccorect" error why?

hevnbnd

I am trying to create an sfx with the paramater RunProgram="Setup.exe /adminfile Unattended.msp" I select the files I wan't in the sfx archive select Create SFX archive under option enter the parameters RunProgram="Setup.exe /adminfile Unattended.msp" and hit ok and get a parameter incorrect error. What am i doing wrong. Thanks

7-Zip features two SFX modules; a standard module and one for installers.

The 7-Zip file manager i.e. the GUI of 7-Zip, only allows you to configure the standard SFX module and the commands that you are trying to add, is commands specifically for the installer SFX module.

Also, it's only the standard module which is included in the 7-Zip installer and the installer SFX module is available as a seperate download on the 7-Zip homepage.

However, there are a modified and more advanced version available on this page : http://7zsfx.solta.ru/en/

Edited by Martin H

You're welcome, mate :)

MSFN member keytotime has made a guide for making 7z SFX installers :

http://www.msfn.org/board/7-Zip-Switchless...ler-t39048.html

Then you just follow that, but with these changes :

Do not download the '7zs.sfx' module from that guide, but instead use the modified module from the page i linked to earlier(7zsd.sfx).

Change '7zs.sfx' to '7zsd.sfx' in the command-line example used in the guide.

Do not download 'msistub.exe', since the modified module can run msi installers directly from the 'RunProgram' parameter.

You can use the parameter GUIMode="2" to completely hide the exraction dialog normally shown when a 7z SFX installer is run.

If you run a batchfile from the 'RunProgram' parameter, then add 'hidcon:' infront of the batchfiles name to completely hide the command-promt window, like e.g. :

RunProgram="hidcon:setup.cmd"

Instead of just :

RunProgram="setup.cmd"

For other advanced options, then check the parameter reference listed on :

http://7zsfx.solta.ru/en/

I really am not wanting this to be this difficult... I have a sfx archive that I want to change something in. Is this this the only way to do this or is there a way to just edit the existing sfx archive? Why not just use winrar and create the sfx? Is there a disadvantage to this?

Edited by hevnbnd

• 1 month later...
I really am not wanting this to be this difficult... I have a sfx archive that I want to change something in. Is this this the only way to do this or is there a way to just edit the existing sfx archive? Why not just use winrar and create the sfx? Is there a disadvantage to this?

WinRar requires payment to use.

Of course you can just repack it into a WinRAR SFX if wanted...

For SFX making, then 7-Zip is free(like tk421 also said) and features better compression with it's LZMA format and features alot of advanced functionality when using Oleg Sch's moded 7z module.

For general use, then i personally like 7-Zip's GUI and command-line interface better than WinRAR's, and allthough i'm not sure about if WinRAR supports that too, then i'm very fond of 7-Zip's ability to unpack installers like e.g. NSIS and MSI's etc.

However, if none of the above relates specifically to you, then just go ahead and repack it into a WinRAR SFX installer ;)

And btw, when working with making 7z SFX installers frequently, then it's usually done with batchfiles and not with typing all those commands in every time ;)