4GB RAM in 32bit OS

iceangel89

what will happen when i have 4GB RAM in a 32bit OS like Windows XP Pro or Vista?

like in http://members.cox.net/slatteryt/RAM.html?

the RAM will be allocated to other things like:

* System ROM

* APIC(s)

* Integrated PCI devices, such as network connectors and SCSI controllers

* PCI cards

* Graphics card

* PCI Express cards (if applicable)

automatically?

how can i verify this? since my Graphics card has Turbo Cache, i intend to allocate the extra to this can i?

how can i verify this? since my Graphics card has Turbo Cache, i intend to allocate the extra to this can i?
That also depends on your motherboard BIOS settings as you already could read, and the Turbo-cache will only take the memory when it needs it, e.g. with more/larger textures for example in games. With the Gigabyte motherboards and any VGA card it will show 3.5GB in Windows XP/Vista 32bit, I didn´t test it with extra PCI/PCI-E cards like RAID controllers and so.

[...]With the Gigabyte motherboards and any VGA card it will show 3.5GB in Windows XP/Vista 32bit, I didn´t test it with extra PCI/PCI-E cards like RAID controllers and so.

On my machine I had 3582MB of RAM shown in Computer Properties (the DVB satellite card was and still is identified in Device Manager as a network controller). That was when I was running the 32-bit version of Vista and had only 4GB of RAM, now I see the whole amount of 8GB ;)

Edited by nitroshift

On my machine I had 3582MB of RAM shown in Computer Properties...
So it’s 2MB less then 3.5GB, what a rip-off :P.

I didn’t know that Vista can clear the other 0.5GB, never worried about it any way as I’m using 64bit version of Vista/ Debian (9a) any way :).

With.......any VGA card it will show 3.5GB in Windows XP/Vista 32bit

This actually depends on how much RAM is on the video card. If it's 256MB the system will show ~3.75GB, 512MB it'll show ~3.5GB and with a 768MB card it'll show ~3.25GB. The attached screenshot is from my work system, which has a 768MB Quadro FX 4600.

post-31126-1205264351_thumb.jpg

Hmms, i got 4 gb installed now. First only 2. Because i wanted my pc to use dual channal i installled a nother 2 gb of the same memory. (Insted of adding the last gb of supported memory) Everyting works just normal. In windows properties it say's 3,25 gb installed.

Some motherboards suport up to 8 gb installed.. I sure hope future os will support more memory.

Hmms, i got 4 gb installed now. First only 2. Because i wanted my pc to use dual channal i installled a nother 2 gb of the same memory. (Insted of adding the last gb of supported memory) Everyting works just normal. In windows properties it say's 3,25 gb installed.

Some motherboards suport up to 8 gb installed.. I sure hope future os will support more memory.

XP / 2003 x64 and Vista x64 support terabytes of memory. 32bit can only address memory space at 2^32, or 4096. It's an architectural limitation, one which only a 64bit OS can address.

This actually depends on how much RAM is on the video card. If it's 256MB the system will show ~3.75GB, 512MB it'll show ~3.5GB and with a 768MB card it'll show ~3.25GB. The attached screenshot is from my work system, which has a 768MB Quadro FX 4600.
Showoff :P (points at 768MB Quadro FX 4600).

Any way, I have to admit that I don’t have any 768MB or 1GB video cards around here, so I tested it with some, without turbo cache or that crap, 256MB and 512MB video cards and it still shows 3.5GB... How about that? o.O

No offence, but this thread should have been locked with a reference to one of the thousands of threads discussing this issue. This has been discussed to death and then some.

Edited by jcarle