Windows xp install on new build,newbie is stumped

ohiophoneguy

Just completed my first new build,tried to install xp. seemed to go as planned at first,hit f6 to enter sata drivers ,nothing happened.After a short while I was prompted to reset,did so and windows started copying files.After another short while got error message OXOOOOOO7B (OXF7C7A524,OXCOOOOO34,OXOOOOOOOO,OXOOOOOOOO0) What now? Do I need to reset cmos and start over,what about any files already copied.Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Asus p5b motherboard

intel E4500 cpu

xfx 8600gt 512mb video card

WD 250 gig sata HD

asus sata optical drive

kingston ram

Please don't take this as an offence to your knowledge :), but I have seen it happen so many times that it is a possibility, and your report seem to go accordingly.

You do not have by any chance one of those "smart" keyboards where Function Keys are actually implemented as "Second Function"?

In the early stages of booting, you might need to press the "Fn" button to enable them, from what you write it seems like the "F6" keypress is not sensed.....:unsure:

jaclaz

Your motherboard is quite new and you have a SATA hard drive. Try going into the BIOS and looking for an option like "SATA Legacy emulation" or something like that. This will allow the XP installer to recognize the HDD without any drivers. Once you finish installing go back to the BIOS and set it to native mode.

I have had errors like that before. Two things for you to do: 1: make sure you do a FULL format of the HD when asked which method of format to use. 2: if your SATA optical drive has a jumper to select master or slave, set it to slave. Windows XP can be one picky bugger when installing.

Guest BuckFush
... 2: if your SATA optical drive has a jumper to select master or slave, set it to slave. ...

I think master & slave do not apply to SATA. On a drive I just installed there are jumper pins, but documentation says they are only for the ATA (EIDE) version of the drive.