Which best version xp use to integrate SP3?

bius

Hi, maybe this is a stupid question, but i googled about it and didn`t find some information.

I just would like to know which version of XP use to integrate SP3 using nLite?

Retail? OEM? Corporate? Untouched? Gold Edition?

PS: Sorry i`m a brasilian guy my english isn`t good.

Ok. I got it about Gold Edition.

But about the best source to integrate SP3. Should I start with clean source (w/o hotfix) just with SP2?

And have little difference between Retal, OEM and Corporate and this difference can be important in integration process...

Edited by bius

Because of left over files....

If you have sp1 and sp2 integrated the you will have aproximatly 30-40 megs of extra files in there (or more I am JUST counting the sp*.cab drivers files)

Good to know. But would that just be junk space on the CD? Or on the hard drive also.

It is as far as I know only wasted space on the cd.

Interesting idea though and since I have cable net and a little bit of time right now I will download sp1a and sp2 and sp3 and do some iso size comparisons.

OK here are the findings:

XP Gold iso size = 492 megs

XP SP1a iso size = 507 megs

XP SP2 iso size = 582 megs

XP SP1a + SP2 iso size = 594 megs

XP SP1a + SP2 + SP3 iso size = 624 megs

XP SP3 iso size = 593 megs

Total wasted space with all 3 packs? = 31 megs

Total size gain from XP gold to SP3 = 101 megs

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

It is as far as I know only wasted space on the cd.

Interesting idea though and since I have cable net and a little bit of time right now I will download sp1a and sp2 and sp3 and do some iso size comparisons.

OK here are the findings:

XP Gold iso size = 492 megs

XP SP1a iso size = 507 megs

XP SP2 iso size = 582 megs

XP SP1a + SP2 iso size = 594 megs

XP SP1a + SP2 + SP3 iso size = 624 megs

XP SP3 iso size = 593 megs

Total wasted space with all 3 packs? = 31 megs

Total size gain from XP gold to SP3 = 101 megs

I was thinking some like that not so precise but close. I alredy have gold and xp sp2 (integrated w/o hotfix after sp2) and now i`m going to try this 2 versions to see the compatibility and stability with sp3.

One thing all of you are forgetting about is: SP0 does not include the DOTNETFX folder, which is on all XP discs Since SP1, but is not part of the seperate service pack installers. This folder is also different sizes. 33.2MB on SP1a, and 39.5MB on SP2 (referring to untouched images, not user created slipstreams).

Adding the DOTNETFX folder from SP2 source image onto your SP0+SP3 slipstream (and all other user created slipstreams will increase by the 40mb DOTNETFX folder) will bring the file size up to 637MB.

So, re-calculate your image sizes.

Me personally, I use SP0 to integrate the newest SP, then add the DOTNETFX folder. The reasons are pretty simple. 1: often times .NET needs to be installed, and thus why MS added the folder to their images for XP. 2: SP3 final iso from MS will almost assuredly contain the DOTNETFX folder.

Edited by Mt.Dew