Use Windows Vista Fonts in Windows XP

MikeyHunt

Microsoft did change some of the system fonts in Windows Vista which tend to look cleaner and crisper than those used in Windows XP.

It would not be legal to simply download and use those fonts in Windows XP, but there is a way to get them on your XP system legally.

The free Powerpoint Viewer 2007 is installing several Windows Vista system fonts during installation which stay on the system even if the software is uninstalled afterwards. :whistle:

The cleartype fonts Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Consolas, Constantia and Corbel are installed into the fonts directory of the Windows XP installation.

You can change the font that Windows is using in the Appearance tab of the Display Properties.

Just click on the Advanced button in that menu and select the element that you want to change the font for.

You should see an immediate difference if you select one of the new fonts and have cleartype enabled.

Users who use a custom design have to take care that the new font does not break the design.

It could take some time until you get it right.

Kudos to GHacks for the heads up on this. :sneaky:

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/03/08/use-windo...s-xp/#more-3451

Free Powerpoint Viewer 2007 link :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I'm pretty sure Microsoft made the core vista fonts available for download somewhere, claiming that they were the "next generation of web fonts" or something and that they wanted to make them available. I don't remember where they were though and don't really care as they are also installed with Office 2007, which I have.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft made the core vista fonts available for download somewhere, claiming that they were the "next generation of web fonts" or something and that they wanted to make them available. I don't remember where they were though and don't really care as they are also installed with Office 2007, which I have.
...and the purpose of your post?

Now you know another way to get some Vista fonts, without too much stress and trouble -legally

peace, bro :hello:

Microsoft did change some of the system fonts in Windows Vista which tend to look cleaner and crisper than those used in Windows XP.

Only with subpixel rendering enabled. With normal anti-alias they look blurrend and illegible.