Alright..Help..

Nerwin

Hey guys, I am just getting sick of my bad habits, does anyone have any good tips to break bad habits, I don't wanna list them cause I just don't wanna talk about it. But if anyone had a bad habit and broke it, Please tell me how..or at lease some tips.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Hey guys, I am just getting sick of my bad habits, does anyone have any good tips to break bad habits, I don't wanna list them cause I just don't wanna talk about it. But if anyone had a bad habit and broke it, Please tell me how..or at lease some tips.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Yes, that's me. Broke a lot of bad habits in my time.

cigs and alcohol were the hardest for me , since they are so available.

take it in two parts

1) the physical part.

the first 3 or 4 days are hell, but hey, we are all big guys..what's 72 hours or so.

temporarily change your atmosphere ..environment.... go on a vacation... trip...camping... close friends house..somewhere physically away from the 'habit' and it's availability.

Keep telling yourself - its gonna be ok in just a day or so.. you WILL get through it.

2) the psychological part.

This can be easier or tougher depending on your mindset.

You need to develop a reason and purpose to continue abstaining from what you recently quit.

For me it was health issues and for my kids..wanting to see them grow up and all that.

Whenever I think about drinking or smoking , I think about my kids and how they are growing up and need a father, then I reinforce this mindset with thinking about how it sucked being hungover and how I used to do dumb stoopid sh**t that was embarrassing... .or how I was coughing so bad in the morning.. spitting up crap, having bad breath, burning holes in my good leather jacket... and couldn't hardly exercise for a few minutes ,without suffering because of cigs.

If you take it one day at a time , and have good reasons to stay quit and re-enforce it.. remembering how bad and destructive the ex-habit was..chances are you will make it.

Hope this helps you.

Make sure you got friends or family around to help and support your effort

Good luck

It really depends on the habit you want to break to know of the best method to break it.

A quick google found this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_13319_break-habit.html

Good Link!

worth posting...

Step 1:

Decide how serious you are about breaking the habit. In addition to a strong commitment, you'll need time and energy to pay attention to your behavior so that you can change it.

Step 2:

Keep track of when you do the behavior. Keep a notepad or journal handy.

Step 3:

Write down when it happens (what is the situation) and what you were thinking and feeling. Writing increases your awareness of when and why you have this habit.

Step 4:

Read and think about what you write down. What does this habit do for you? Is it a way to deal with feelings of boredom, anxiety, stress, anger?

Step 5:

Think of what you could do instead of the habit that would be a more positive way to deal with the feelings or situation. Write down some simple alternative behaviors that you could do instead. Pick one you want to practice.

Step 6:

Try to catch yourself when you find yourself doing the habit and stop yourself as soon as you can. Start the alternative behavior you decided you wanted to do instead.

Step 7:

Aim to do this once a week and increase the number of times per week over time. The more you practice a new behavior, the more it becomes the new habit.

Step 8:

Get support from others by letting them know you are working on the habit and telling them what they can do to help.

I agree with substitution - my bad habit was food. I ate way too much and when it came time to lose the weight, I found that substitution worked best in my situation. Once I subbed instead of eating, I was able to break the cycle, eat healthier, and lose the weight. The downside, of course, was having to buy new pants.... ;).

Just my 2 cents.

I've read through what has been posted and all of it is good advice and very true.

Let's forget about the part where I fell back to my old ways but I smoked/smoke. The method that worked for me was that I just had to make up my mind. And do it. I finally decided to quit. So I just stopped. Not cutting back, not giving myself times to smoke and not at others, not avoiding situations that prompted me to smoke, not cutting back on coffee because I like a smoke with a cup, not giving myself so many a day that I could have, etc......... I just quit. Two weeks of reaching for a smoke, wanting a smoke and controlling my agitation. From there on out, it was easy sailing though I did regularly reach to my pocket for a cigarette that was not there. Reaching for a cigarette in my pocket happened for a year and a half and that was a habit that I never managed to break. It was totally subconscious until I realized what I was doing. So, let that be a warning. Don't let a habit be with you for a long enough period of time that it worms it's way into your subconscious.

Best regards,

Mark

What did you sub with, cluberti?

Exercise. Not heavy, just a quick jog for 5 minutes and a decent amount of water (always lowers hunger pangs). Did this for about 2 weeks, and I got my body to the point where I didn't feel hungry until regular meal times for me (early breakfast, afternoon lunch, later dinner). And, it didn't hurt that I had finally decided for good that I looked fat at 250lbs and wanted to slim down for real :).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Cheers!

ok.. inquiring minds... did you start on this arduous journey? Hows it going?