Is this dell config worth?

iceangel89

Is this dell SG config worth?

Dell Inspiron 1520

Intel® Core2 Duo Processor T8300

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic 32 bit (English)

15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) Display with TrueLife

Ruby Red Color with Microsatin Finish and camera

2GB (2 X 1024MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

160GB SATA Hard Drive

Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities

NVIDIA® GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR2 dedicated graphic memory

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card

1-Year Limited Warranty (Next Business Day Service - parts & labour)

9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

SG$ 2,227.74

YEEEE OUCH!!!!

Not in my opinion....

why? too expensive? maybe u are thinking its USD? but ya its quite ex... but i think thats the price offered by most brands

from google: 1 U.S. dollar = 1.3869991 Singapore dollars

when i try going to the Dell AU, i get abt the same price when converted to SGD

Oh so its about 1900 USD?

It still seems pretty high.

I just looked up the CPU man that thing is pretty much a beast! @ 300 alone for it too.

I may have jumped the gun.

After reading some of the reviews for it it does seem like it's worth the price.

ya true i went to the Dell US site and wow the prices are very different, like starting from US999 vs SGD1600 in SG... but i am in Singapore so thats a problem... the only thing i can do now is either wait for after a PC show that is going on now till sunday or wait and hope soon after the PC show the price will drop but i am not quite confident of prices dropping so quickly...

thanks any comments welcomed, i think if i were to get it, it will be tmr. hopefully i can get further discounts since its a computer fair

by the way, if the RAM is upgraded to 3GB (1GB + 2GB), it will not be dual channel anymore?

is this any worth, it is GeForce 8400GS, but the price diff is quite abit, abt 500 for just a 8600GT...

Without upgrade = T8100 Intel Core 2 Duo

Wow, think i will most likely be getting the HP Pavilion DV2775TX at $1700.

Has Nvidia gfx and HDMI out

HP Pavilion dv2775TX

14.1" WXGA High-Definition* HP BrightView Widescreen Display

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.40GHz

3072MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS discrete 128 MB

250G HDD

Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support

High speed 56K modem, Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)

Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection with Bluetooth

Integrated 5-in-1 Digital Media Reader (Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards)

HP Pavilion Webcam with integrated microphone, 2 USB 2.0 (discrete), RJ-11, RJ-45,

2 headphone out, microphone in, IEEE 1394, Consumer IR, AC adapter, S-Video-out, Expansion Port 3, Kensington lock, Integrated Fingerprint reader , HDMI

Altec Lansing speakers

6-cell

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

Edited by iceangel89

Dell sucks. Worst company ever, I only say it because I was employed there. If not for the product being cheap, it's the internal workings of the management working there. No one knows how to operate anything in the building. Things change on a daily basis and it's extremely difficult to follow one procedure because it's outdated the next day you come in. In 2 weeks, there will be only one North American support center for consumers, the rest are outsourced. HP, however is on the way to getting more NA support. Call Dell technical support and you'll be pestered to buy something because they're loosing money. Yes, any department you call will ask you for money even if you're under warranty for the next 4 years. It used to be about supporting the customer, now it's giving another solution through the means of the customer paying more money. Computer slow? Lets not go through the system to see why it's slow, lets just upgrade more memory and sweet talk the customer into buying one. I may sound like a disgruntled employee that quit, but that's exactly why I quit. They ask to throw away ethics and moral values to make a buck.

Only buy a Dell if you have worked there just because you know how it works and you can get what you want. Other than that, any other company will do.

Dell sucks. Worst company ever, I only say it because I was employed there. If not for the product being cheap, it's the internal workings of the management working there. No one knows how to operate anything in the building. Things change on a daily basis and it's extremely difficult to follow one procedure because it's outdated the next day you come in. In 2 weeks, there will be only one North American support center for consumers, the rest are outsourced. HP, however is on the way to getting more NA support. Call Dell technical support and you'll be pestered to buy something because they're loosing money. Yes, any department you call will ask you for money even if you're under warranty for the next 4 years. It used to be about supporting the customer, now it's giving another solution through the means of the customer paying more money. Computer slow? Lets not go through the system to see why it's slow, lets just upgrade more memory and sweet talk the customer into buying one. I may sound like a disgruntled employee that quit, but that's exactly why I quit. They ask to throw away ethics and moral values to make a buck.

Only buy a Dell if you have worked there just because you know how it works and you can get what you want. Other than that, any other company will do.

i heard they got better? but they aren't cheap now!

Most likely though if you not buy a copy of Vista then you will need to. Most crappy a** companies (dell, gateway, etc.) do NOT include a copy with your PC.

You seem angry at the world. Dell is the only company (Past 2004) includes CD's. Prior to 2004 they had the MRI (Media Reduction Initiative) running where they didn't send out CD's. Now you get it with the system, and you can call up at anytime even after the warranty expires you can get the CD's without a question. I can't say the same for Toshiba or HP in the year 2008 where DVD's cost a mere 20c. I asked for CD's they told me to burn the image using your own cd. You don't even get the OS CD.

From another topic :rolleyes: I already posted, I may come across as a disgruntled employee but face the facts. The mindset of a person working there is to get a sale on every call. If you buy something they'll fix your computer with a big smile on their face, if they look at your order details and find that you have the best of the best, they'll shrug you off, run a long test, ask you to call back. Asking a sales person to sell is fine. Asking tech support to sell while they have a 4 year warranty is not. Anyway, try getting tech support when there's 1 NA call center. Go ahead, buy it, but don't expect anything when your system goes blank when you've paid for the extra warranty :)

Anyway, done in this topic. To the poster, it's a good system, but you'll end up paying more at the end for sure. Be it out of your own pocket, or having a constant headache. I've worked in other companies too, and I wouldn't say the same about them.

Just for the record, I use dells frequently and own one myself, and I've never had any problems with them. True, I've never called their tech support since I usually just fix stuff myself, but I have sent a computer in for repair while under warranty and it didn't cost me a penny except for shipping. And... they still sell xp and they also offer linux!!! The other OEM's don't have a linux option for non-business machines.

Hi,

i got a Acer Aspire 5920G-933G32Mn

http://acer.com.sg/products/aspire5920G/psp_aspire5920G.asp

Intel T9300 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache

4GB DDR2

15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite™ colour TFT LCD

nVidia® GeForce® 8600M GT with up to 1280MB of TurboCache™ (512MB of dedicated GDDR II VRAM, 768MB of shared system memory)

320GB SATA HDD

SGD2300+

good?

it has a Windows Performance Index of 4.8