how can i detect that what is the cpu kind ? ia64, amd64 or x86

lordsepid

hi, i've integrated hotfixes into windows xp. after some tests on different computers i found that my windows doesn't work on ia64 & amd64 CPU's. how can i detect that what kind of CPU is used in the current pc or notebook? i mean through the registry or something else that setup can understand what hotfix should be installed.

sorry if my english is not so well. i hope you understand what i mean.

thanks in advance

If you're looking for something easy to read, run "msinfo32" on your box and it'll tell you what type of OS is installed (x86 vs x64 vs ia64) and the processor in the machine. If you have a machine that you cannot use x64 or ia64 patches on, it'll be x86 (32bit). x64 = AMD and Intel x86-64 processors, and ia64 = Intel Itanium (and you would know you had one of those, because your wallet would be very, very light).

Actually, msinfo32 will not accurately tell you what kind of cpu you have. It will tell you in what "mode" your cpu is running, based off the OS.

For example:

msinfo32 reports "Processor x86 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2611 Mhz"

I have an AMD Athlon64 FX-60.

Everest Ultimate edition on the other hand will tell you EXACTLY what the cpu is.

For example:

Everest reports "CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-60, 2612 MHz (13 x 200.9)"

Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

Plus, Everest will give you more details about your processor than you may even understand.

If you want a quick way to find out exactly what you have in your system, or any system at all, download everest ultimate edition from http://www.lavalys.com.

Extract the zip file or run the installer, then copy the everest folder onto a usb stick. Now you can just simply plug in the usb stick, launch everest and get any information you need.

Edited by Mt.Dew

Actually, msinfo32 will not accurately tell you what kind of cpu you have. It will tell you in what "mode" your cpu is running, based off the OS.

For example:

msinfo32 reports "Processor x86 Family 15 Model 35 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD ~2611 Mhz"

I have an AMD Athlon64 FX-60.

Everest Ultimate edition on the other hand will tell you EXACTLY what the cpu is.

For example:

Everest reports "CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-60, 2612 MHz (13 x 200.9)"

Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

Plus, Everest will give you more details about your processor than you may even understand.

If you want a quick way to find out exactly what you have in your system, or any system at all, download everest ultimate edition from http://www.lavalys.com.

Extract the zip file or run the installer, then copy the everest folder onto a usb stick. Now you can just simply plug in the usb stick, launch everest and get any information you need.

The OPs point was specific to installing updates, so the mode the OP's Windows is installed in IS the issue :). There are many ways other than this to figure out processor type (regardless of version of OS), but I understood the original question to be "which version of an update do I install when I can find x86, x64, and ia64 editions of an update".

Maybe you should re-read the original post. I explicitly says "how can i detect that what kind of CPU is used in the current pc or notebook?", not what you perceived as "which version of an update do I install when I can find x86, x64, and ia64 editions of an update", because that phrase was not used at all. As for the OP's issues of his/her disk being used on various computers, his/her image should work on any cpu (including amd64 cpu) that is not an ie64. So, the issue the OP is having is rather odd.

Edited by Mt.Dew

i found that my windows doesn't work on ia64 & amd64 CPU's ... how can i detect that what kind of CPU is used in the current pc or notebook? i mean through the registry or something else that setup can understand what hotfix should be installed.
I read that to mean he's got x86 Windows, and his version of Windows doesn't work on x64 or ia64 (natively, which of course it won't). I read that to mean he specifically wanted to determine which hotfixes to integrate.

Since we've answered his questions in both ways, I'm locking down this thread so it doesn't spiral out of control. Questions answered (in both possible ways).