Security Alert - when not in browser

terrypin

I'm getting some very bizarre behaviour here. I'm in a program called Magix Movie Edit Pro - although I don't think that's necessarily going to prove central to the issue. I click a button that's supposed to take me to an online site for downloading video resources. A window appears titled 'Security Alert'. Its message is: "You are about to leave a secure Internet connection. It will be possible for others to view information you send. Do you want to continue?" That's a fairly familiar window - from a web browser - but as I said, I'm not.

Anyway, I clicked No. That started a unstoppable flood of 'empty' IE6 windows! All titled something like 'No page to display'. Within seconds I had over a hundred covering the desktop. And I don't even *use* IE - my browser is Firefox. XP Home Task Manager brought an end to this, but I had to force closure of Movie Edit Pro and then IE6.

'Yes' takes me to the site, where I'm asked to register. I decline, so close that page. That returns me to the 3 options.

'More Info' gives a window titled 'What's new in Internet Explorer'! Where does that come from? Its content is the familiar one: "Entering a non-secure Web site from a secure Web site. The Web site you were viewing was a secure site. A secure Web site provides secure communication and has a valid certificate. blah blah ... If you do not feel confident about viewing this site, click No."

Which is where I came in...

Can anyone offer any clue as to what might be going on here please? Needless to say, I've emailed Magix Support, but another Magix user couldn't duplicate the behaviour so somehow I have a feeling this is an obscure conflict or XP issue.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK