Win98 Fresh Install - Freezes

justplaincorey

Hey all, I am a newcomer to the board but I needed some help with a Windows 98 machine I am building for my daughter to play some old kids games on and surf a couple of kids websites.

The problem is that, after a fresh install of Win98SE, the system will freeze at random periods. Typically, it will happen when opening Internet Explorer [sometimes trying to select Tools -> Internet Options will cause it to lock up] or even Windows Explorer. The freezes don't happen at any predictable time, either. These freezes render the system totally non-responsive, requiring a hard shut down and reboot. I have installed and used the Win98 SP3 Alpha as well, with no improvement.

I have just had TinyXP running on it without trouble but I thought Windows 98 would be a better run with only 256 MB of memory.

My system is as follows:

Asus TUSI-M motherboard

Pentium III 733 MHz CPU

256 MB PC133 RAM [2 x 128 MB]

ATI Radeon 9250 PCI Video Card

Onboard sound

2 IDE Hard Drives [20 MB and 40 MB]

Any takers to help me? I would greatly appreciate it!

Try removing ACPI and APM (link). This is my own experience. Lots of others say its nonsense (read the posts following the one I gave the link to, and you'll see it), but the fact is it solved many obscure problems of stability for me along the years. Sometimes, however, disabling "use IRQ Steering" gets you into trouble, so test if that is necessary in your system (if all goes well with that on, let it be). And, yes, it is common to have this kind of problem with VIA chipsets, but that's not a VIA exclusive problem. Some other chipsets show it too. HTH