desktop and laptop monitors

colore

hello

I would like to know why laptop monitors (that are supposed to have less quality than desktop monitor, since their size is limited) are 15.4" and 1920 x 1200, while a desktop monitor to have 1920 x 1200 resolution, must be 24" and above?

how laptop monitors achieve such high resolution and desktop monitors cannot achieve it?

thanks

15.4 laptops typically max out at 1280x800 (maybe 1680x1050)

I dont know why anyone would want a laptop with a 15.4 screen that ran at 1920x1200. anything less than 20ish inches at that resolution makes text difficult to read.

here are 6 laptops with 15.4" and 1920x1200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=

I don't think that text is small in these laptops... high resolution means better image quality...

I bet most users would prefer these screens

but my question is still: even at 1680x1050, laptops are 15.4" and desktops 21" or more

increased resolution in specific size doesnt mean smaller letters (font size can be increased), it means more high image quality

higher resolutions in smaller sizes cost money. The panels, the graphics chipset, the CPU to process the data to drive the chipset, and the display memory/ram.

All of that eats up battery too.

ok, I suppose there might be some users that (according to your way of thinking) buy laptop with celeron, 4.200 rpm hard disk and integrated graphics card in order to save money, memory, energy...

but let's get back to the topic please

desktop systems were always the pioneers in new technologies, because there is no space limit, as in laptops, so we first see new technologies in desktops and after few months/years in laptops

as for monitor dpi, it seems that the opposite happens

all the web community praised Lenovo L220x as the WUXGA industry-first (and consumer-available, I would say)

but laptops seem to have higher resolutions, which I find strange

I've got a WSXGA panel on my 15.4" laptop, and I couldn't imagine going any lower for my next laptop. I don't think that I'd get WUXGA on a 15.4" screen though... that's getting a little too small for my tastes.

The main reason why higher resolutions show up on "smaller" laptop screens is because you're typically sitting closer to a laptop than you are to your desktop LCD. The overall size of the screen might be larger, but try to imagine the angle between your eyes and the two edges of the screens. You'll likely find that the laptop and the desktop LCD screens cover roughly the same area in your vision - hence the need for the same resolution. :)

So let's say I buy a new LCD in 2 years with 1920x1200. If I go into _Display Properties_ then _Appearance_ and change font size to Extra Large Fonts does that in essence decrease the resolution.

Or is this the setting that really changes it: Within Display Properties still - Click on _Settings_ then _Advanced_ _General_ Changing DPI setting: from Normal size (96 DPI) to Large (120 DPI) will this then really change it to a 1600x1080 screen?

Just wondering because I increase my Font on my 1600x1200 laptop screen, and/or change the DPI to Large 120 DPI.

Thanks

Font-size has nothing to do with your screen resolution. People here are talking about fonts that can’t be read easily on a relative small screen, 15.4" @ 1920*1200 for example @ 70cm distance @ 72dpi font-size will get your eyes tired faster, unless you set it to twice the size or like you said 120dpi.