nLite 1.4.9.1 - Honey Turbo 9.1

nuhi

This is probably not the right place to ask my question(s), but I have been going around in circles on different forums trying to find out if anyone has had my problem.

I am trying to prepare installation disks ( 1st for my laptop and 2nd for my desktop) using nLite, starting with 1) XP home SP2, and the SP3 update, or 2) XP Media Centre 2005 SP2,

What is happening with nLite on my desktop where I am trying to make the new files, it that I locate the original SP2and then try to add the SP3, and I either get a computer freeze, or I see that the upgrade moves the i386 files to a temporary file AND then freezes. It doesn't matter whether whether I try the SP3 from .exe or .iso, or use the i386/update/update.exe.

With each failure I go back, erase the programs, clean up the registry and start with new installations of nLite, SP2 and SP3. I never got far enough to get a settings.ini.

Any thoughts or comments would be really appreciated.

*wrong topic, sorry*

I did say right at the start that I wasn't sure whether this was the right place. Obviously it isn't, so could you please tell me where I could post my question(s) for assistance, and possibly get a lead to solve my problem?

Thanks

This is probably not the right place to ask my question(s), but I have been going around in circles on different forums trying to find out if anyone has had my problem.

I am trying to prepare installation disks ( 1st for my laptop and 2nd for my desktop) using nLite, starting with 1) XP home SP2, and the SP3 update, or 2) XP Media Centre 2005 SP2,

What is happening with nLite on my desktop where I am trying to make the new files, it that I locate the original SP2and then try to add the SP3, and I either get a computer freeze, or I see that the upgrade moves the i386 files to a temporary file AND then freezes. It doesn't matter whether whether I try the SP3 from .exe or .iso, or use the i386/update/update.exe.

With each failure I go back, erase the programs, clean up the registry and start with new installations of nLite, SP2 and SP3. I never got far enough to get a settings.ini.

Any thoughts or comments would be really appreciated.

You don't want to manually add SP2. You want to only add SP3.

If your Windows CD has SP2 already integrated, I think nLite will remove it for you automatically. When you come to the "Service Pack" screen near the beginning of nLite, just click to integrate your SP3, and nLite will first ask you to click OK to remove SP2, and then it will carry on to integrate SP3 instead.

For me, my Windows CD has SP1 (but not SP2) and nLite handles it like I said. I assume it handles SP2 the same way.

• 1 month later...

I guess I wasn't as clear as I thought in my last post--I have been starting with XP-SP2 (original disks) [one for my laptop XP home] and one for my desktop [XP Media Centre 2005]. I have been trying to prepare NEW installation disks for each, and I have run into the same problem with each.

To keep my questions simple, let me say that I want to upgrade my XP-SP2 HOME.

I initiate n-Lite, go to the directory with the XP-SP2, and try to incorporate the SP3 (from another folder). When I do I get I either get a computer freeze, or I see that the upgrade moves the i386 files to a temporary file AND then freezes. It doesn't matter whether whether I try the SP3 from .exe or .iso, or use the i386/update/update.exe.

With each failure I go back, erase the programs, clean up the registry and start with new installations of n-Lite, SP2 and SP3. I never got far enough to get a settings.ini.

I am still going around in circles on the various websites, and have not made any headway.

Can anyone suggest what I have been doing wrong, or whether n-Lite is not the vehicle to slipstream the SP3--I am almost ready to start fresh with the SP2 installation on a reformatted hard drive and then a M$ upgrade with SP3--and end up with the BLOAT !!!

Thanks to whoever might have a helpful suggestion.

I've never used nLite for slipstreaming so I can't comment on the problem you're having in that regard, but give this slipstreaming link a look. This is how I've slipstreamed SP3 and I've never had a problem with it:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_slipstream.asp

I just checked the link and there's apparently a newer version of the article here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/xp/sp3_slipstream.asp