nLite 1.4.9.1 - Honey Turbo 9.1

nuhi

Thank you very much nuhi for all of the work and time that you put into making nlite. I was using windows 98 up until 2004. That was the year that I discovered nlite v .98. I had a slow computer and I didn’t want to load the full version of windows xp. You and nlite helped me make the switch-over to windows xp. I’m a happy nlite user and I love those tweaks which saves me a lot of time. :)

silent update to 1.4.5.4! ;)

Vista Key issue fix?

Yeah, the specific fixes are:

- Slipstream update.exe directly (when you extract SP)

- Slipstream XP SP3 into XP RTM (SP0) under Vista, CDKey issue

Both of them rare so better be silent and deadly.

Edited by nuhi

finally got some time to play around and duplicate my problem. However, I just noticed that all 4 new SP3 services are tied into each other in some way:

'Wired AutoConfig' needs 'Extensible Authenticating Protocol Service'

'NAP' needs 'Extensible Authenticating Protocol Service'

'NAP' needs 'Health Key and Certificate Management Service'

I am going to try removing 'Health Key and Certificate Management Service' this time (and NAP too, since it requires this service to run). If I can reproduce the wireless problems on this new reinstall, then 'NAP', 'Extensible Authenticating Protocol Service', and 'Health Key and Certificate Management Service' will have to be placed in the compatibility list. Only 'Wired AutoConfig' can be safely removed.

back after a reinstall ;)

edit> back from reinstall....and I reproduced the problem :) I'm reading in BlackViper's services information that only the 'Remote Procedure Call' Service is required for 'Health Key and Certificate Management Service'. I guess I'll try another reinstall

edit 2> did another reinstall....this time removing only 'Health Key and Certificate Management Service' (and ignoring all nlite warnings about dependencies)....and my wireless connection works normally. By process of elimination, removing NAP causes all my wireless problems

Also, you might wanna relook at the dependencies of each new SP3 service.....because removing 'Health Key and Certificate Management Service' caused no ill-effects when it comes to running the NAP service. You might wanna recheck what nLite has down for the dependencies of these new services

post-33930-1210818477_thumb.jpg

post-33930-1210818485_thumb.jpg

post-33930-1210818490_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kirby

In previous versions, after finishing, nLite created $OEM$ folder (in my UXP folder) with CMDLINES.TXT:

[Commands]
"rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection nLite.inf,U"

But in this version, the $OEM$ folder wasn't created. I check I386 folder, and NLITE.INF still exist.

Somebody can explain it for me ?

Edited by zeroman_ltk

nuhi, forget the thing about the visual styles not being present in the 'Appearance' tab. That's just a stupid thing I didn't know: the .msstyles file has to have the exact same name as the directory it is in. If not, Windows will not list it in the drop-down list under 'Windows and buttons'.

Example:

\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna Element\LE5.msstyles WON'T work

\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna Element\Luna Element.msstyles WILL work

Edited by Guillaume

I spoke too soon....I did another re-install with all the new SP3 services removed EXCEPT FOR 'NAP'....and now my wireless card is screwing up again....

I'll do yet another re-install....this time keeping both 'Health Key and Certificate Management Service' and 'NAP'.....maybe something is intertwined between the 2

edit> I am definitely overlooking something....cause keeping these 2 services causes the same problems.....I guess I'm going to try keeping only the 'Extensible Authenticating Protocol Service' this time

Edited by Kirby

Okay....I think I finally got this down....please ignore all my previous ranting :P

Services not to remove for wireless cards:

Extensible Authentication Protocol Service

Network Access Protection Agent

I am pretty sure of this now.....I just wasted my whole night re-installing :P

Edited by Kirby

From vanilla cd only SP3.cab, Components and dotnet folders etc.

From SP2 source. SP2.cab and other files came with SP2

U may merge driver.cab with sp3.cab

Also u may delete component and dotnet folder if u dont use.

Edited by eryen

We should slipstream SP3 on WinXP SP0 right?

WinXP Pro SP0:

before: 484MB, after slipstreaming SP3: 586MB

WinXP Pro SP2:

before: 574MB, after slipstreaming SP3: 634MB

48MB more :blink::wacko:

The SP2 source is 48MB more after slipstreaming in your example, but it started out 90MB more. What exactly are you surprised about?

Kirby, neither service is required in order for the wireless card to work correctly, however they may well require WPA (built-in to Windows) to be enabled also. I use the excellent WiFiHopper, which does not appear to have any internal Microsoft file/service dependencies.

Kirby, neither service is required in order for the wireless card to work correctly, however they may well require WPA (built-in to Windows) to be enabled also. I use the excellent WiFiHopper, which does not appear to have any internal Microsoft file/service dependencies.
I do remember saying that my wireless card does work with these services removed.....just that scanning for a network is broken and that I could only connect manually by inputing the SSID name of the router

Kirby, for your information, below is a screenshot of my nLite'd system, you will note that a considerable number of services have been removed/disabled, yet wireless networking is working correctly.

clipboard01ao2.th.png

Cheers,

James

x