nLite 1.4.9.1 - Honey Turbo 9.1

nuhi

Great to see a new release - time to do a reformat with SP3!

Let me know if you have something listed.

How about some of the disabled/non-started services in this shot?

svc75od1.jpg

I understand that vLite will probably become the focus of your application development, however I would still like to see further development and component removal in nLite.

Cheers,

James

x

Edited by jmbattle

Hello,

I use nLite 1.4.5 final.

I have a French version of Windows XP Pro SP0 and I have slipstreamed the SP3, included IE7 and no others changes.

All seem work except the "Explorateur d'ordinateur" (Computer explorer) service that stop immediately after starting with this error message:

This service is necessary to access to folder sharing by using the name of the computer instead of theirs IP's.

nlitesb6.th.png

Translated in English:

The Computer Explorer service of local computer with started then stopped. Certain services can stop automatically if they do not have any task to carry out, for example, the alarms service and the performances newspapers.

Edited by SuperPat

danker, I believe so. And some typos. Why did I jump to 3...it was something like "hm beta 2 is .1, I must have forgotten to put .2 after beta 1, lets put .3 now like third installment of 1.4.5"

jmbattle, long time no read.

Network Connection - Do you want network support to be removed or it is like your LAN is set by DHCP and you don't need any access to the config?

Shell HW - part of Shell Services, already removable, cant be separated from other 2 in the same component.

Telephony - I remember removal of this broke down a lot of network dlls so it can go under the same as NetConn

App management - aka Add/Remove programs. It is needed, for most

Crypto - who knows, you never know :)

HID - usb, mouse, keyboard thingies

Spooler - Printer Support

Sec Acc Mng - Don't know

Installer - needed, for most

So only possibility would be Network Support and see what is Crypto and Secc Acc Mng. Not much fun, could be that all 3 are needed.

SuperPat, that is normal, that popup explains it. But if you can't browse other shares in the network then maybe you removed Windows Firewall.

Edited by nuhi

HI :)

If i select in nLite to remove "Messenger" "Movie Maker" "Windows Games" & "NetMeeting" then the empty folders don't get removed form "C:\Program Files". Can this problem be fixed ore is this a Windows File Protection problem because if i remove them manual Windows File Protection is replacing them again.

Edited by Outbreaker

Outbreaker, yup that is the SFC "problem". So far it is unknown to me how to filter that out. If you disable SFC it will be cleaned of course.

In fact I have seen, in the Microsoft web site, that we can install (and slipstream) the SP3 only on a XP SP1a or a XP SP2, Not on SP0, SP1.

nLite should show an error in this case

Edited by SuperPat

With sfc on I get complaints from Windows sfc that essential files have been replaced. Should I change the option to sfc off?

Security Center cannot start, I think because Windows Management Instrumentation service is missing.

In Tweaks:

Explorer-Remove arrows shortcuts does not work

Speed-Classic Windows maps does not work

I have Windows XP SP3 Dutch with the latest Nlite.

Edited by Breezer

jmbattle, long time no read.

A long time indeed - how time flies! ;)

Network Connection - Do you want network support to be removed or it is like your LAN is set by DHCP and you don't need any access to the config?

Well, this system is not connected to a network, hence why I disable the service. All I require is the bare minimum to get online using my cable modem and DHCP (addition components such as file/print sharing etc. are not even installed), thus I am wondering if this service can also be removed?

Shell HW - part of Shell Services, already removable, cant be separated from other 2 in the same component.

Ah, I see, and therefore required for Themes support, yes?

Telephony - I remember removal of this broke down a lot of network dlls so it can go under the same as NetConn

Again, I have disabled this service and am still able to get online, so perhaps it is unnecessary for this system?

App management - aka Add/Remove programs. It is needed, for most

I have disabled this service, yet am still able to open the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet, so perhaps it is not required after all?

Even if the service is required for the applet to run, could the user not use a freeware/shareware alternative?

Crypto - who knows, you never know :)

Yes, I disabled this service and restarted. Everything is fine at bootup, however opening the Hardware Devices list and double clicking on a component sets the service back to Manual and starts it automatically. Disabling and stopping the service, then attempting to double click a hardware component for a second time will still displays the information, yet does not change the service settings. Who knows - perhaps it can be removed too? ;)

HID - usb, mouse, keyboard thingies

Again, disabled here, the service does not appear to have been started, yet my USB mouse is working fine. Unnecessary?

Spooler - Printer Support

Okay, I shall keep it for PDF output.

Sec Acc Mng - Don't know

Okay, well let's try getting rid of it, then seeing what happens. ;)

Installer - needed, for most

Agreed. Third party installer engines such as NSIS appear to be unaffected, however InstallShield and .MSI stuff requires this service.

So only possibility would be Network Support and see what is Crypto and Secc Acc Mng. Not much fun, could be that all 3 are needed.

Well, if you do not have any further components planned for removal in 1.4.6, please consider adding these as 'experimentals' ;)

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

James

x

Edited by jmbattle

newsposter, actually, with the exception of 'Windows Installer' I have disabled all of the remaining unused services whilst maintaining the required functionality.

After a little research, it would appear that the Human Interface Device Access service is only necessary in order to control additional buttons found on multimedia keyboards and other peripherals such as printers/scanners. The Application Management service, on the other hand, seems to be related to deploying software across a network.

I wonder if perhaps simply disabling a service is different to removing it from the system entirely, due to possible file dependencies?

Cheers,

James

x

Edited by jmbattle

Yes, disabling a service leaves all the files on your system. Unless you are SURE (100%!) that you will NEVER need a specific service, disable it, DON'T delete it.

The hassles of trying to manuall reinstall a previously deleted service are considerable.

Hi

I have problem!

I take windows xp pro sp2, I build SP3, IE7, WMP11,

I remove not the components, necessary for me, (without them, built - in IE6, worked), all passes well, but after installation, IE7 does not work: blinks a window and it is more than anything.

Prompt, what's the matter?

Thanks for the answer!

(nlite 1.4.5 b2 on winxpprosp2)

If you have problems, always try using the latest (stable) version - nLite 1.4.5 FINAL.

Give more details about how you slipstreamed, in what order you did it and other tasks. I can't figure out what you meant - you removed components or kept all of them?

The MD5 values for ver 1.4.5 self extracting archives on the download website are wrong!

The sha-1 hash has been put instead of md5.

the correct one (i think) is MD5:77E1A435C5A8DBC75C2E10BCAC0A1F27

sha-1:5AEDD243CD2C50C2537384747D63533B56FAA8F8

crc32:45DE1CBF