Former LG employee leaks plasma secrets to China

MikeyHunt

Former LG employee leaks $1b in top secret plasma info to Chinese manufacturer

Posted Mar 5th 2008 8:02PM

by Darren Murph

We've seen some pretty shady dealings from disgruntled ex-employees in the past, but this one may have skyrocketed into the upper echelon of tales of corporate deceit.

As the story goes, a 49-year old man known only as Jeong felt the need to copy over some 1,182 top secret plasma display technology-related files onto his personal drive before waltzing out of LG's doors for the final time in July of 2005. A few months later, Chinese manufacturer Changhong-Orion PDP-Chaihong welcomed him with open arms and paid him a fat salary of roughly $300,000 a year (not to mention a few perks: free apartment, vehicle etc.), while casually accepting both the aforementioned files and continued insider leaks at LG -- information supposedly valued at over a billion dollars. But despite Jeong's arrest upon his last return home to Korea, Changhong is still apparently on schedule to produce plasma panels based on LG's technology come this December. Can you say: hot water over international trade-secret law?

It's stuff like this that makes my blood boil! :realmad: - Mikey

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/05/former-...info-to-chines/

I was thinking about this today. And IMO that chinese company is screwed. You really think that US/Canada/EU are going to allow those things to be imported?

Sure they'll be sold in countries close to China, but I bet they get nowhere near the market they were hoping for.