Windows XP does not remember the Display Properties

Weasel Keeper

Windows does not remeber the settings I have in display properties (right click on Desktop).

I prefer having the "Windows Classic" (under the "Theme Tab"), but it always boots up with the "Windows XP" theme. Additionally my screen saver is changed to the default "Windws XP", even though I repeately set it to "none". The sounds also reset to the default values (I keep setting them to "None")

I have tried to save my themes under different names, but nothing seems to work. It appears that XP may bestopping at the default values and for what ever reason doesn't load the customized settings.

Any suggestions on where to look or what to do.

Thanks

ive never heard of a temp profile before but heres what i would try:

create another user in control panel, logout, login as that user, change settings around and see if they stick

If it works that tells us the problem is confined to your user profile. and we can deal with that in a few ways

• If you have no data in that profile (My Documents, My Pictures, Desktop) that you need then just start using the new profile and delete the old user
  • If you have data in that profile that you want to keep, you can find it in c:\Documents and Settings\username and move/copy it to your new profile
  • If you have data in that profile that you want to keep, and dont want to switch profiles, we might be able to find the source of the problem with a little more time and research but i prefer the quick fix myself :)

Its also possible that you will see the same symptoms on the new user, in that case its not necessarily a problem with that users profile but then its a problem with windows and well have to address that differently

I added a new user. Now both the new one and the old remember their settings. If I do a power down and restart, the settings are remembered. If I just select "Restart", the default (wrong) settings are loaded. If I log off the user and immediately logon, the correct theme is loaded.

I noticed that when I go to the properites, the "Windows Classic" theme is in selected theme in the drop down menu. The apply button is grayed out, so if a select another theme and then select Classic Windows, then I can click the Apply button

Edited by Weasel Keeper