Java SE Runtime Enviroment 6 Update 3 Silent Install

danno74

Greetings,

Has anyone been able to use an install bat that disables the aut update feature of Java in v6u3? I see in previous versions there is an AUTOUPDATE flag that should be set to 0, but as stated, in my trials it doesn't work.

Do I have to enter the following registry key as this post dictates in order for it to work?

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Removes Java Update
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy]
"EnableJavaUpdate"=dword:00000000
"PromptAutoUpdateCheck"=-

Thanks in advance! :thumbup

Dan

This is what I have for update 4

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy]
"EnableJavaUpdate"=dword:00000000
"NotifyDownload"=dword:00000000
"NotifyInstall"=dword:00000000
"PromptAutoUpdateCheck"=-

I also set the AUTOUPDATECHECK property to 0 in the MSI file (you can pass it as a parameter using msiexec). If it's 0 (or false), the java update process won't be installed.

I do it this way. and it works fine.

start /wait JRE6u4\jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe /s AgreeToLicense=YES IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0

So I used the following:

jre-6u5-windows-i586-p-s.exe /s AgreeToLicense=YES IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0

I check under the Java Control Panel and under the Update tab, "Check for Updates Automatically" is checked. Does this indicate it didn't work?

I'm going to add the REG key as well, see if that works.

So I used the following:

jre-6u5-windows-i586-p-s.exe /s AgreeToLicense=YES IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1 ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 JU=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0

I check under the Java Control Panel and under the Update tab, "Check for Updates Automatically" is checked. Does this indicate it didn't work?

I'm going to add the REG key as well, see if that works.

yeah i saw it checked also under control panel but i never saw an icon from java on my taskbar. I don't think it check for update

To fully disable auto-updating, then just use the msi install switch : 'AUTOUPDATECHECK=0'.

When using 'AUTOUPDATECHECK=0', then the java update schedular isn't placed into the Run reg key anymore and hence, auto-updating is fully disabled.

However, there's a bug in the control-panel, so that it still looks like auto-updating is enabled, but it is in fact absolutely disabled...

I personally do not use the ADDLOCAL switch, as i think that the JRE package is way to bloated allready as it is :

If ADDLOCAL=jrecore[,extra][,other_US] is used,

jrecore indicates the core of the JRE will be installed;

extra (optional) indicates additional Fonts, Colors, and Soundbank will be installed;

other (optional) indicates locale-specific .jar files will be installed.

If ADDLOCAL=ALL is used, then all the features will be installed.

If ADDLOCAL is not used, then only the recommended features will be installed: jrecore will be installed; extra will not be installed; other will be installed only if l10n support, other than English, is installed.

Here's the config.txt which i use for my 7z switchless silent installer(I use Opera, so i don't need to enable support for any extra browser plugins, as Opera is smart enough to communicate directly with the Java runtime) :

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
RunProgram="3ca9116.msi /qn SYSTRAY=0 AUTOUPDATECHECK=0"
GUIMode="2"
;!@InstallEnd@!

...Has anyone been able to use an install bat that disables the aut update feature of Java in v6u3? ...

i just delete a reg key

RegDelete ( "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" , "SunJavaUpdateSched" )

[autoit code]

same regkey for 6u2, 6u3, 6u4, 6u5 for now

[ and MSFN will let me know when a new version is coming. ]