MGS4 too big for Blu-ray?

MikeyHunt

Last week closed out with news that many a PlayStation 3 gamer was eagerly awaiting to hear: Konami and Kojima Studios will fire off Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots on June 12. In addition to early access to the Metal Gear Online April beta test, the publisher also revealed that those who preorder the game will receive a bevy of extras, including a bonus DVD that includes a prologue that recaps the series' intricate and winding story, a 20th anniversary retrospective, character bios, and trailers for Guns of the Patriots.

While the release date is surely good news, the weekly Kojima Productions Report podcast delivered a bit of an unsavory tidbit for Japanese-language purists living abroad. Responding to a fan's question of whether or not there would be Japanese audio in the North American and European versions of MGS4, assistant producer Ryan Payton said, "Unfortunately, because of disc space, we don't have the space to include the other languages--the other voice-over files--for the respective versions. So the Japanese version won't have English VO, and the NA and Euro versions won't have Japanese VO."

Payton's sentiments echo Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima's own in a recent interview the gaming legend did with Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu. In the interview, Kojima noted that he still isn't satisfied with the game's visual quality, but because of capacity constraints, the team had to make certain compromises to get the entire game to fit on Sony's Blu-ray Disc. Whereas traditional double-layered DVDs max out at 8.5GB, dual-layered Blu-ray discs accommodate a spacious 50GB worth of data. However, single-layered Blu-ray discs are only 25GB a side--and noone from Kojima Productions has revealed what size MGS4 actually is.

story from: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_bl...mp;subj=6187095

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

That is a complete lie. He is probably trying to add-suspence to making people go outside and buy the darn thing instead waiting otherwise :whistle: Advent ........

Also the thing is called dummy space. They did it on the dreamcast, GCN, and even other systems. I can only guess the game has dummy space that has code splattered all over the place to make sure nobody sucks out the game via X method. Otherwise you will have a big 50GB file to compress ( which can you even compress? ) Most people have a 30GB Hard drive while other people have like two 100GB HD. I myself have only one 100GB.

Those who have the cash would rather let the game fail and wait for it to drop in prices.

The only thing I really care about is Metal Gear creator screwing around with dialog dew to retard fans wants for a even more pro covert game then a adventure comic game. I just want to see what I sawed in the previous installments. Nothing new.

Still I don't own a PS3............yet and plan not for a very long time. It will be like when I have grand children before I get one.