KVM Switches: Anyone use them? What do you use?

Frankenputer

I'm planning to do a build in July, but want to use a KVM switch so I can use the same Keyboard, mouse, and monitor for both machines(have never used a KVM before). I have a CRT monitor and a PS/2 keyboard, but the mouse is USB. I may get a wireless mouse and use one for one machine and the corded USB for the other. The ability to share the same speakers/mic would be a plus.

I've seen lots of versions and models in a wide price range. I'm looking for responses concerning personal experience with your KVM and what brands/models you've found to be good.

Items to be shared:

Monitor - CRT (VGA D-Sub 15)

Keyboard PS/2

Mouse USB (may not use this item for both)

Stereo speakers/headset/mic

I recently installed a D-Link 4-port KVM switch. Works flawlessy. Previously I had a no-name switch which degraded video quality (some said because of unmatched impedance between the switch and cables). You probably can connect your mouse using a USB-to-PS/2 adapter, which you can purchase together with some cheap mouse.

I would not bother switching audio with KVM (probably will result in poor quality). Just connect the secondary PC's soundcard to your main multimedia PC's line input and you're all set.

I use a Cables-To-Go 4 port USB KVM switch at my desk in my office (which is also my test lab). Works nicely, has 3 USB ports right on the front of it so I can access my flash drive from any computer I'm using at the moment, or use a USB keyboard and/or mouse

using a KVM to pass audio though has a tendency to really degrade the quality of the sound if that's something you care about.

I think IOgear makes a 4-port KVM w/ audio and USB

*edit* http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS1734/

Edited by rendrag

I use a 4-port "home" KVM switch (Microsol, I think), which I connect my servers to. But this is purely so they can boot, I use RDP to connect to them via any other machine on the network. :w00t:

I have a four port Belkin KVM switch that uses VGA and PS/2...USB>PS/2 adapters work fine with it, no complaints on that end.

i used to use it when i had two towers down here, but haven't since...still have it though, someday i may need it, so i'm not getting rid of it.

I used to use a old 2 port KVM VGA/PS2/USB with an ancient 21" CRT year ago on my 2 servers at the house

these days i have 2 pcs hooked up to my monitor 1 via DVI and 1 via VGA and i use 2 keyboards/mice

we bought one of these suckers for the server rack at work:

http://www.cdwg.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=797640

you can toggle it with buttons or you can use use keystrokes

Scroll lock twice + number = that server

Scroll lock twice + left arrow = previous server

Scroll lock twice + right arrow = next server

Scroll lock twice + space = GUI with custom labels to select which server

I dunno if they have keyboard control on desktop class KVMs but its an option id look for if i was buying one.

I have an IoGear MiniView III USB KVMP _ 4 port with 2 USB front and 2 USB in back for VGA monitors, also DVI-D to VGA adapter works good to. Has hot key switching, Ctrl + Shift + Alt + (1-4 for computer #). Have been using for 3-4+ years, and have a ps2 to usb y splitter. Had an older Lexmark Z33 on it 3 years ago and the other PC's were able to use it once I switched it over without any WinXP folder or printer sharing. I am very pleased with it, more so using the smaller 17" CRT's. I think back then I spent $80, tried others up to $450 but still no better for my Sony 24" CRT I had years ago, spent a lot of money returning things.

I now use it for my Dell 17" CRT which go along with 2 others on main pc and sometimes have 4 hooked up to main PC and KVM'd one is slightly different compared to the others (98% of the time I don't notice). I don't know about new LCD's, I think the pictures are crappy (look cooler), but maybe the KVM's have an easier time handling them (no clue though)? If I remember right last time I checked at Micro Center they cost like $150-180 for the same ones, even though I think at that price they should include DVI and sound.

But if you can I would get an audio function and buy from a local retailer (do have Micro Center nearby?) if possible, if you do get the audio just in case it's bad or your monitor might not like it. Otherwise saving money on Newegg (read Reviews), which I like but you might have to go through 2 or 3 before you settle on the right one which can be costly with shipping returns. I also have another very similar IoGear USB 4 port a friend gave me and I use it for my extra PC's, or ones I work on from time to time and that also seems good but just started using it.

• 2 weeks later...

We use Servswitch at work in the server racks, but at home I use Trendnet. I have the PS2 and the USB 4 port versions and have had no problems. Just make sure you realize that if video quality is important you'll have to pay for it. For my lab and normal home use the cheaper KVM's are just fine. Also, an external power supply is handy so you're not dependant on pulling power from the computers.

• 4 weeks later...
Just an update. A friend of mine had a spare KVM switch he was no longer using(PS/2 VGA) and it works like a charm. He gave me an IOGear GCS62.

KVM-IOGEAR-MINI2.jpg

I used to use one of that model before! I almost forgot I had one.

At work we use TrendNet 16 port T1601R which handles PS2, DIN and VGA.