Holy S**t, my graphics card just set on fire!

eyeball

Hello everyone, i need some help please, my trusty XFX Nvidia 7900 GS XXX just died. :blink:

My pc was running and turned off by itself, so i opened the case to look, turned it back on and a chip on the graphics card set on fire!!! i ripped the plug out the wall faster than i dont know what, anyway has anyone ever seen this happen before? its really frightening, and secondly it looks like i need to purchase a new card, anyone got any suggestions? i want low power consumption but may as well get a pretty powerful one.

thanks guys

WOW, that does sound scary , glad you are ok. My PSU unit is only 90Watts and i have use a Radeon 700064 in it, a Geforce 5200 128 in it, a Geforce 5500 256MB card, and now i am using a Bfg geforce 6200 256MB OC card. Never had any problems so far, infact my card and tower stays cool all the time, unless its hot in the house, then it becomes warm.

How much is your PSU and do you have AGP or PCI-E slots or both?

thank you for your concern :)

I have 2 X 580W PSU both Hiper Type-R, i dont think that was the issue, and there was little or no heat as i have my case packed with 140 and 120mm fans. I think it was just faulty, it really sucks that i have to go through the whole RMA process but what can i do about it.

im looking at this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....amp;subcat=1008

maybe its overkill, but it has a nice shiny 10Year warranty which looks very attractive right now, considering what i just witnessed lol

cheers

EDIT: oh, and its a PCI Express slot

Edited by eyeball

Wowza... that's a rare sight. Hopefully/thankfully nothing else in your system was damaged.

The EVGA 8800GT is a great card. The G92 series cards run very cool, and I doubt that you'd run into a problem like you've just had.

GeForce 8800 GT core running at 600MHz

- Shader Clock Speed of 1500MHz

- 512MB GDDR3 Memory running at 1800MHz

- 256-Bit Memory Interface

- 112 Stream Processors

- Shader Model 4.0

- Memory Bandwidth: 57.6GB/s

- Designed For Extreme HD Gaming

- Nvidia Pure Video Technology

- Dedicated Video processors free the GPU Shaders to run 3D applications

- Dual dual-link DVI supports two 2560 x 1600 resolution displays

- HDCP Enabled!!

- SLI ready – Upto 2x the performance of a single GPU (Available on with future driver release)

- True High Dynamic Range Rendering Support – Based on Open EXR technology

- World's first unified architecture supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10

- Built for Microsoft® Windows® Vista™

- 10 Year Warranty Direct with EVGA on 0049 8918904911 (TOLL FREE)

- 90 Day Step-up/upgrade programme from day of purchase (Upgrade your card and only pay the difference direct with EVGA)

- 24/7 Email Support at support-eu@evga.com

- All RMA's & Upgrades are dealt with between EVGA Direct and the Consumer on 0049 8918904911

WOW, yea that sounds great. Cheap too, for that sort of card, i say go for it. :)

Thanks Zxian , is the one i posted an E92 series? if so im gonna get it cos i dont wanna risk this again.

Right now i have a smoke alarm sat ontop of my pc....just incase <_<

Yep - that's a G92 series card.

They're easy to tell apart - they've got 256, 512, or 1024MB of RAM, while the previous (G80) generation had 320MB or 640MB. Those were also decent cards, but the G92's run cooler and perform much faster. :)

got a 7900gs within minutes of inseting it could smell burning from it imediatly removed the card and got a replacement sent from dabs which has been working for over a year now

wow, im kinda glad its not just me thats had a similar thing with this card, thats what mine smelt of, horrible electrical burning smell eugh! :puke:

That's interesting. My 7900GS exploded a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure what it was at teh time, and my computer worked for some time before it finally went down for the count.

It sounded just like a gunshot, but the system didn't crash until a few hours later. When it finally died, I took a peek and saw that an entire row of caps had busted open.

Has anyone else had 7900gs-specific problems?

it didnt get too hot, i think that i really shouldnt have turned it back on after it initially turned itself off. I should have looked properly at all the cards and the motherboard before turning back on. Im sure it was just a faulty card and i feel its kinda my fault that it got to the point where it set on fire. lol