Windows XP USB issue....Please help!

aahmad

Our firm has quite a few Lenovo T60 laptops which are imaged. The problem we run into on random occasions is that the USB does not function. So when we plug in any USB device into the system or the docking station Windows acts as if nothing happened. If we reboot the machine the problem goes away then comes back randomly. We ran into this issue on a desktop as well. Please advise. Thank you guys.

You give too little information to be of service. Have you checked the IBM and Lenovo support web sites? What operating system are the machines running? Is it a default company image, an image supplied by Lenovo, or...? Do you have the latest BIOS firmware running on each machine? Et cetera.

You give too little information to be of service. Have you checked the IBM and Lenovo support web sites? What operating system are the machines running? Is it a default company image, an image supplied by Lenovo, or...? Do you have the latest BIOS firmware running on each machine? Et cetera.

Its a default company image based on Windows XP Service Pack 2. I checked IBM, Lenovo, and search engines to potentially find anyone with a problem of this nature with no success. I have the latest bios updates, etc running on these machines. I really am at a loss at what this could possibly be, to me it seems as if plug and play service fails and the only way to resolve is a reboot.

Thank you again.

• 8 months later...

I figured out how to resolve this issue I believe, so far the issue has not persisted when I perform the following registry edit.

HKLM>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>USB>

add dword value "DisableSelectiveSuspend"

set the value to "1".

That should "resolve" it, I found this in a kb article on Micrsoft's site but do not have the article number handy. Just FYI for you all.