Resolved: Sysprep Problem - Updating HAL

Edit: It seems like my issue was a VMWare Server bug, as when I had a chance to try it on a real box, the problem did not occur. Thanks again to those who assisted.

-------------------

I've prepared a master image with the following HAL:

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC - ACPIPIC_UP

Then, on the target machine, I boot into WinPE, pull down the image, and modify sysprep.inf to use the appropriate HAL.

I reboot, sysprep completes the mini-setup wizard and initiates another restart.

The system fails to boot the OS at this point... however, if I physically reset at this point, it comes up with "Windows Failed to Start Something Something..." I select Boot Normally and the system boots fine. :blink: I log in and see that the correct HAL is being used.

So for some reason the first time it boots after mini-setup completes, it is failing. The next and subsequent times it boots fine. Has anyone seen this before? If I take out the HAL update lines (UpdateUPHAL or UpdateHAL) this doesn't happen, so it must be due to the HAL replacement. It also does not seem to happen when the master image is a ACPI Multiprocessor HAL and I change to ACPI Uniprocessor HAL. :wacko:

Any ideas? Also, I'm using the -pnp switch when I run sysprep if that matters. Thanks for any help or ideas!

Edited by jmmdss

Also remember, that if the motherboard has ACPI enabled or supported, you don't need to change between a uniprocessor and multiprocessor HAL. Windows XP will automatically detect the processor and use the appropriate HAL.

On Windows XP and later versions, the ACPI Uniprocessor HAL and the MPS Uniprocessor HAL recognize the existence of more than one processor and report the MP ID. Plug and Play detects that the computer devnode's hardware ID list has changed and moves the devnode back through the "found new hardware" detection process. Therefore, when you add a second processor, the MP files (HAL and kernels) are automatically installed, and you do not have to manually update the driver in Device Manager.

I can't remember where that exact quote comes from, but I know I had printed it from somewhere, cut it out and taped it above my desk. ^_^

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Well now I feel really stupid. :whistle: I'm using VMWare Server remotely, so I haven't had a chance to test on actual hardware. If I shut down the virtual machine right after mini-setup completes and then power it on (without allowing it to do a "soft" reset), the image boots normally the first time.

I'm starting to think this may just be a VMWare bug... though I'm not sure how. I've always used it to build/test my images. I'll have to try on a real box to know for sure. :unsure: