I can't close Ad-aware in the normal way any more.

Aloha

I mean I cannot close it by pressing Close button. After scanning my computer with Ad-aware, I have to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to close it. This happened after I installed SP3 beta 1 and the Unofficial WMP 10 XP MP3 Codec L3CODECP.ACM 3.3.2.44 for WMP 7/8/9. But I don't know which one caused this problem and cannot uninstall them. I find it very annoying. If anyone had this problem before and could fix it, please give some advice.

Thanks for any help.

PS. I don't know if I should make this post in the thread 98 SE SP 3.0 BETA 1 or not. So please correct me if I had been wrong.

Gape,

Bad news: I followed your suggestion but it couldn't help.

Good news: I reinstalled WMP9 and the problem has gone.

I guess my computer is too weak to put up with the Unofficial WMP10 XP MP3 Codec. Thank you for the idea of reinstalling.

• 3 weeks later...

Aloha, what version of Lavasoft Ad-Aware were you using when you had the problem?

I guess my computer is too weak to put up with the Unofficial WMP10 XP MP3 Codec. Thank you for the idea of reinstalling.

Too weak? more like too slow or not fast enough for the unofficial WMP10 XP Codec. put more RAM into your computer and/or install a faster CPU or faster hard drive.

Edited by erpdude8

Aloha, what version of Lavasoft Ad-Aware were you using when you had the problem?
Ad-Aware SE Personal, Build 1.06r1. It can't be updated any more, right? But I'm still using it.

Edit: the rest was removed because it sounded a little hateful!

Edit (for the second time): Actually, I can still update it manually by downloading the definition file and copying it to the folder where I installed Ad-aware SE Personal.

Direct link to download: (SE1R237 09.04.2008)

http://download.lavasoft.com/public/defs.zip

I got the link from here:

http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/archive/...31/1563822.aspx

Edited by Aloha

Erpdude8, I want to say a little more about this problem if you don't mind. After reinstalling WM9, I have done these things with my computer so far:

- Installing the Renovatio.

- Reinstalling (without uninstalling) the RP7.

- Replacing files from the RP7 with those from the Renovatio, as many as possible.

- Reading through the forum, then installing WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) for Windows 98SE 1.0.

- Installing Rsidebar.

- Last night, after replying to your post, installing the Unofficial WMP10 XP MP3 Codec again.

Result: After scanning my computer with Ad-aware, I pressed the Close button, and it exited immediately without any problem. How strange!

In summary, I don't know exactly what caused this error before and what fixed it. Without your post, I wouldn't know that the codec itself didn't cause any problem to my computer. I apologise for all the wrong information I talked about Gape's pack and Miko's codec.

To MDGx and Gape: Can you delete this thread for me? I find it very silly.

Glad to see your problem had been solved aloha. :)

As an aside, rather than ask for the thread removed - perhaps leave it here so it shows up on forum searches. Surely there will be others who experience the same issue and would love to see this solution. :)