Sound stuttering?

jojobrituk

Hi,

Whenever some kind of sound plays on my computer (XP Home SP2), it about 50% of the time starts stuttering. I don't think it could be Windows, as I only usually have like 2 or 3 IE7 windows open, so I'm thinking it could be the drivers, my sound card is COnexant AMC 2 Channel Audio with driver version 6.14.10.510 2005-12-01. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Is that happening when playing some files in some media players, or same happening with system sound. If it is only when using some media player, try with other media player.

Cheers ;)

If the definition of stutter in this case is: sound plays then stops then continues to play at the point the sound stopped prior.

Could be a shoddy driver or the signs of a failing sound card. Try uninstalling the drivers then cleaning up the registry (if you are comfortable doing so), downloading the drivers again (just in case) and re-install. Another option could simply be physically removing the sound card and re-inserting into the motherboard. Sometimes the last step is the magic trick.

If the definition of stutter in this case is: sound plays then stops, then continues to play, but not from the point the sound stopped prior.

Most likely failing hardware. Try installing a different sound card.

Is there any system monitoring software running on the pc that might be accessing SMART functions, even at low-level? If so, that may be a cause for stuttering of audio. An example of such an application is Everest Ultimate Edition. There is a thread regarding winamp and stuttering, but this is not limited to just winamp in conjunction with Everest running.

Edited by Mt.Dew