win2k TCP/IP stack uneditable & bad

_ck_

After many years of a using and upgrading a fairly stable win2k install, I've suddenly encountered a problem I cannot find a working fix for.

If I go into my network properties for my lan driver (Nvidia 410 chipset) there is no tcp/ip showing. Only "Client for Microsoft Networks" appears. The system is very slow to start after login and I suspect that's something timing out.

The system DOES work however after it finally finishes booting, I suspect this is because the DHCP service manages to still work.

I am unable to install network properties like a service - it says

"Could not add the request component. The error is: The system cannot find the file specified"

I cannot uninstall the network driver or reinstall it or upgrade it. There's always some kind of error and failure. Trying to edit the registry and deleting it never works right. I eventually have to restore a registry backup to get it to where it was.

I've tried "Winsock XP fix" (which is also meant for win2k) without any change.

Even worse, I can no longer refresh win2k onto my system - it will cause a lockup halfway in.

Note my system is otherwise working with some very complex software (dotnet frameworks, drm video, etc.)

I am virtually positive there is no virus or rootkit activity on it.

Thanks for any ideas on what to try next!

Edited by _ck_

OMG I can't believe I finally figured this out (been struggling with it for nearly a month now)

Leaving this for anyone else who eventually has the same problem.

It's the Remote Registry service. Even if you don't use remote registry features, you MUST have it enabled for win2k network interface to function properly - you should never disable it. You might be able to set it to manual, but definitely not disabled for proper network interface operation.

Wow. That was driving me crazy. Almost upgraded to XP too. To heck with that now! :)

ps. the technical reason why it won't work if remote registry is disabled is because the network adapter formal names are not available for some mysterious reason - it then refers to them by their registry key id and some of the interfaces cannot recoignize/handle the long key

Edited by _ck_

Strange, I tested this on my fresh install of a win2k sp4 system with the remote registry service disabled, it works the same as if enabled. Nic drivers.

Are you able to edit and manipulate your tcpip settings

and the stack in general when remote registry service is disabled?

Edited by _ck_

• 3 weeks later...
Strange, I tested this on my fresh install of a win2k sp4 system with the remote registry service disabled, it works the same as if enabled. Nic drivers.

Are you able to edit and manipulate your tcpip settings

and the stack in general when remote registry service is disabled?

Yes, I needed to set up a static IP address and a different gateway. It works when the remote registry service is disable.(I always disable it).