nlite newbie problem "the system could not log you on"

_ck_

I'm using nlite to build an ISO with my xp home which I then am testing in a vmware box before installing for real.

The problem is no matter what settings I use in the build for the password (allow blank, giving a password etc) I cannot log in once the install is finished.

I get the classic "The system could not log you on. Make sure..."

Any suggestions? I can't seem to figure it out.

Upload your preset (do not copy paste).

Now, wild guess, did you maybe remove OOBE? And write the whole message you are getting when trying to log on.

Cheers ;)

Edited by mara-

I did remove OOBE. I guess I have a misunderstanding of what it's needed for?

The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case.

By the way, "New user" login works fine. It's just Administrator that is hosed.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by _ck_

No, you did not misunderstood, but I think it could cause problems in some situations. As I could see, you integrated SP3. That's one more reason that OOBE could be the problem, since nLite does not yet officially support SP3. And I sow in your preset that you did not removed it, you just disabled it. Try not to disable it and test instalaltion.

Well I tried with OOBE enabled and it had me create a user but the user was not given admin rights.

I tried then manually creating a new nlite setup with a new user under the admin group but it doesn't have admin rights either.

Is this really because of SP3? That's unfortunate. Anyone else out there have it working with 3311 ?

I notice that the domain section is greyed out under nlite setup, I guess it's supposed to be that way?

Edited by _ck_

1. On XP Home , you can ONLY log on as Administrator in Safe Mode.

You must create another user.

2. I do not know why the new nLite user does not have admin rights, that has nener happened to me.

3. AFAIK, no domain support on Home.

Edited by mushu13

1. On XP Home , you can ONLY log on as Administrator in Safe Mode.

You must create another user.

2. I do not know why the new nLite user does not have admin rights, that has nener happened to me.

3. AFAIK, no domain support on Home.

Thank's for the tip about admin with xp home and safe mode - that was starting to drive me insane!

Well maybe because of sp3 I am not able to give the new user I created admin rights ahead of time.

However I am able to log into safe mode and even though administrator strangely does not have the rights to give my new user admin privs, I noticed there is a third user "Owner" who is administrator.

So I log into "Owner" and then give my new user admin rights. Then everything works.

I hope someone has found a registry hack to make XP Home allow administrator to be administrator.

Like that's a real security fix, sheesh.

I wonder what other XP home quirks I am going to run into - I thought it was just a cpu limit.