COMPAQ Presario C700 and XP

Nepsyde

Hey all :-)

ok here is a problem that is giving me a headache. I recently purchased an older laptop from a store (was cheap and good enough for studies) and it had a built in vista basic on it. After using vista for little while i have made up my mind that its not for me anytime soon, anyways i was wanting to install xp on my laptop. I have vista basic backed up on the laptop (partition) and also manage to find an old xp pro cd that was hiding away ( :whistle: ), ok i started up to see if it would atleast go through the installation so i could atleast delete the p[artition to make utilize the space more.

I chucked in the cd and fired my laptop and it started to load...

it goes through the menu and so on and finally gets to the Welcome to setup menu

3 things to choose from... enter to continue or r=repair or f3 to quit.. i press enter (duh)

please wait....

now the whole agreement (too long to read), and now i press f8 (i am actually doing it while i type this :)

ok here is the problem now

i am in the Windows Xp prodessional setup page

except where it suppose to show me my harddrive it says:

Unknown Disk

<there is no disk in this drive.>

and the only options i have it enter=install, d = delete partition and f3 to quit...

ok i already know what enter does so this time i press d to delele partition...

and it says...

Setup is unable to perform the requested operation on the selected partition. This partition contains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installtion

to continue press enter

so now i press enter

and i am back again the same screen telling me unknown disk.. and now if i press enter i get this :-)

:ph34r:

The proble has been detected and windopws has been shut down to prevent damage to you computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following files: setupdd.sys

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. IF this screen appears again, follo these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installtion, ask you hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowsing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP 0x00000050 (0xe5776400, 0x00000000, 0xf84cf9a8, 0x00000002)

*** setuupdd.sys - address f84cf9a8 base at f84a8000, datestamp 41107c8f

ok even tho i started up vista and thought i could update... no luck.... can't it won't let me select it ... any solution guys i don't like vista and would like to go back to xp on this laptop...

thanks you, even if you guys could suggest... i don't want to go ask hp help as they start telling me (dictating) that vista is better and stuff... this guy started telling me (first time i called to reinstall xp) that i sould stay in vista that most people use vista and its the most stable system around ... and i did try to explain to him that hey mate i don't want vista, (res hog) and would like xp instead... but dam that time i couldn't use my friends xp cd..

exact model number is: C710TU Compaq

HP's site has SATA drivers for your notebook that you should use at the start of the XP setup process ("Press F6 to load blah blah blah"). If you don't have an available flopy drive, you can stil try to integrate the drivers in your XP disk. Using nLite for instance.

Also, first u can disabled the SATA transfer mode and use IDE mode in BIOS, XP setup program will find the HDD... After installation, u enable the SATA mode and install the driver.

o so i should get windows xp version of sata drivers for my laptop...??

Also, first u can disabled the SATA transfer mode and use IDE mode in BIOS, XP setup program will find the HDD... After installation, u enable the SATA mode and install the driver.
o so i should get windows xp version of sata drivers for my laptop...??

ok bit confused here (never used sata drivers :-)

I went into bios setup and onlything about sata is under system configuration

options are

Language <english>

SATA Native Support <enable>

>Boot Options

When i go into boot options it has:

f9 and f10 dalay (sec) <0>

CD ROm Boot <Enable>

Floppy Boot <disable>

PXE Boot to LAN <disable>

>Boot Order

so what would i need to do in this circumstance?

sorry for noobish question

Hi Nepsyde, I got the compaq C710ED. Almost the same as you i gues.

Here is a simulair toppic that help you with getting the right xp drivers and stuff:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Presario-C706nr-...rs-t108101.html

Ore mybe you like to try my driverpacks for the laptop. They got all xp drivers that you need if i'm right. You can get the drivers here:

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2237

Well the driverpack works almost perfect for me. Only Modem end audio need some extra work to get in installed.

And a sata driverpack for you're harddrive. It will make xp see you harddrive:

http://forum.driverpacks.net/viewtopic.php?id=2238

Put the driverpack in the 3party driver map

select 3party drivers

alsow select txt mode

Go to http://www.driverpacks.net/ if you need to teach you're self about driverpacks.

Some nice info about installing xp next to you Vista. (On a second partition of course)

http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic26756.htm

Read the commands posted!

Edited by UtCollector