Microsoft Windows Fundamentals OEM SP2 Build 2600

DevoL

I have read all forums with WinFLp and Fundamentals, and I couldnt find the answer I was looking for.

If WinFLP cant be modified with nLite or vLite, so how do you mod it eitherwise ? What software to use ?

It will not be supported because it is a total mix of technologies. Has parts of Vista setup and XP files, I would need to make a third tool, not worth it since nLited XP is even smaller.

The problem with supporting WinFLP is also that there is no way to slipstream SP3 into it and there's no way to tell whether MS will make a new WinFLP ISO with SP3 integrated. And, the standalone SP3 update will be a unique version for WinFLP (ie. the regular SP3 .exe update since Build 3282 cannot be used with WinFLP anymore). So, even *if* there was support in nLite for WinFLP, the only way you can install SP3 to it is after you install the OS, and looking at what happened with Vista and SP1 when folks tried that with a vLited Vista RTM, I don't think it would go well. Nevertheless, WinFLP is in my opinion the best version of XP that MS has released and it really is unfortunate that they didn't target a larger audience with it.

Edited by Arneh

i have WinFLP installed on a older laptop and the mininal install size is 685mb installed on hd.
162 mb install on a full nlited xp :P

Yea, nLite will allow you to have a smaller install, nothing surprising about that, however it's the approach to WinFLP that MS took that I really like.

They based the product off XP Embedded, didn't add unnecessary bits without losing much if any functionality, gave an option during setup to select which bits to install and not to install, and used a Vista style image based setup/deployment. Unfortunately, there's really not much support for it, even from MS, since it's a very unique product aimed at a small population of users.

It's a shame there's no "Vista Fundamentals" as that would be a perfect candidate for vLite.

Edited by Arneh

True enuff the setup is very long twice that of a regular full xp install.But the whole point of it is to have xp on a old legacy 98 box and true enuff its just as fast as 98se on a p2-400 with 128mb ram.

Edited by Randy_Rivers

yea the setup take too long

nlited xp is better.

As Arneh says ", gave an option during setup to select which bits to install and not to install", you should include the time you spent to make the nLited CD.

I'm not really here to debate which takes longer or shorter to install, as that doesn't really matter to me since both don't take a long time to install anyway. I'm just saying that the approach/customization that MS took for WinFLP is really nice and would perfectly fit Vista too but unfortunately they didn't include it in Vista as a "Customize Setup" option.