Office 2007 compatibility pack SP1?

jamestaupe

Here's what I did, seems to work ok here.

Extract the contents of FileFormatConverters.exe

Make sure you have the Windows Installer SDK, you can get it as part of the Platform SDK, just disable everything else.

Using Orca, export the tables AdminExecuteSequence and AdminUISequence from the Sequence.msi found in the samples installed with the Installer SDK.

Open O12Conv.msi in Orca, make a new transform and import the two tables.

In the Property-table, add a new property, TARGETDIR and set its value to where you would like the administrative installation, "\\myserver\share\MS\Office\FFC" as an example.

Generate the transform and close Orca.

Perform the administrative installation:

msiexec /a O12Conv.msi TRANSFORMS=mytransform.mst

This will not show success or failure, add logging to check (/L*v mylog.txt)

Extract the contents of compabilitypacksp1-kb940289-fullfile-lang.exe

Patch your administrative installation:

msiexec /p O2Convsp1.msp /a \\myserver\share\MS\Office\FFC\O12Conv.msi TRANSFORMS=sameTransformAsLastTime.mst shortfilenames=true

Open the now patched O12Conv.msi in Orca, some files in the patch have sequence Id's which are not in the Media table even though the files do exist. The qnd fix is to sort the File table by sequence id, note the highest id and change the single entry in the Media table to match that id. I prefer to generate a new transform for this but you could probably just save the msi as well.

And after that you can deploy from the administrative install point:

msiexec /i O12Conv.msi TRANSFORMS=sequencefix.msi /qb-

Or via group policy software installation, which was my goal (will we ever be able to deploy msp's via gpo?)

//Anders

Thank you Anders,

Very nice first post. I will try it when I have some more free time.

GL

I got most of what I needed to put this together from this post and this board so I figured I had to give something back.

Another note for you people who do this with non-english versions of the converters and patch:

Apparently they didnt bother to change the language in the ARP-info in the patch so take a look in the Property-table before you generate the final mst if it bothers you (didn't bother me).

//Anders

• 7 months later...

sorry about digging up an old thread.

when i try make the administrative install point the transform will not apply. i edited the msi directly and it worked, so not a big issue really, but i'm curious as to why this is happening. has it happened to anyone else?

this is the command i'm using:

F:\win\office\OfficeCompatPack>msiexec /a O12Conv.msi /transforms=o12conv.mst

am i missing something dumb?

thank you very much anders

• 10 months later...
  • 7 years later...
On 5/10/2010 at 5:24 PM, GrofLuigi said:

/me sorry too for digging old thread, but it appears that the base install was updated to service pack 2 level, so no need to slipstream anything anymore.

GL

There is an SP3 out, and I just did it for this to move it from SP2 since MS does not appear to have bumped up the base install with SP3, so it is still relevant :D

FYI, I could not locate the Sequencer.msi sample in the Windows 8.1/10 SDK.  Perhaps they removed it, so I may check some older versions later to see for my own reference later.  Luckily, I was able to dig up the following MSDN articles on the suggested table values, and they appear to have worked:

I doubt you'll see this 10 years later and with two posts, but great work, Anders Blomgren!