DHCP Mystery (192.168.1.5)

lost9999

Hi, I am a new SysAdmin and I was overhauling the DHCP. Im having trouble finding out what computer is at (192.168.1.5) on my internal network. I pinged it and got a reply. Is there an easy way I can find out what computers are associated with which IP address? DHCP only shows me reservations and leases. Its not in either.

Help!

Could you not just use Remote Desktop and then right-click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name. :whistle:

I loved this idea! It didnt work though... It may not be setup for remote (as stated in later post). The ping option didnt work either. I appreciate the options, anymore?

Could you not just use Remote Desktop and then right-click My Computer > Properties > Computer Name. :whistle:

that assumes it's a PC, and assumes it accepts remote desktop sessions.

Remote desktop did not work. I really loved that idea too! The ping suggestion didnt work either. We have over 100+ devices on the network so going from pc to pc doenst sound like a blast :) Any other suggestions?

Do a port scan and see whats open. Try to unc from the run line and look at the hidden c share if its a windows box. Is it in the same layer 2 network or is there a gateway between you? If L2, ping it, that'll add an arp entry to you're machine, issues the arp -a command to view the MAC, then use your network equip to find the device by MAC. If over L3, do a tracert and narrow down which hops it uses.

at cmd type nslookup

type set q=ptr

type 192.168.1.5

theres your answer :) hopefully

EDIT: sorry i overlooked the fact that a ping -a didnt resolve it. maybe try telnet to the IP?

Edited by eyeball

at cmd type nslookup

type set q=ptr

type 192.168.1.5

theres your answer :) hopefully

ping -a does do a ptr lookup on the IP address. He stated that didn't work, hence 192.168.1.5 doesn't have a ptr (or a forward A) record.