KernelEx for 2000?

jim2029

Off topic, but get rid of anything with Norton in its name. Please. And why would you need a protected recycle bin? :lol: I don't even remember what the recycle bin is used for.

Never much love for Mr. Norton is there!

:no:

It's true that a lot of Norton Utilities are of questionable benefit, and some of the things that they recommend that you run all the time are like hanging an enormous millstone round the neck of your computer!

Those that are good are good though, and the Protected Recycle Bin has saved me on many occasions when I've deleted something and then emptied the Recycle Bin, and then changed my mind (we've all done it!)

Also it saves overwritten copies of documents which are being modified by applications, and image files.

For instance, if I'm editing an image, sometimes I'll press save and close it, then realise that I want an earlier version back. If I'm in luck, Norton will have saved it, and I can use Norton Unerase to retrieve it.

So, I would miss it!

Anyway I've now restored the system to normal.

I looked into running KDW in "Ez mode", which doesn't actually replace the system files in the System32 folder, but appears to use the same method as the "Windows 2000 to Windows XP API Wrapper Pack" previously mentioned.

Haven't got very far with it as yet though.

:)

I created the API extender for Windows 2000, "KDW".

I succeeded to run iTunes 7.6, QuickTime 7.50, Live Messenger, and foobar2000 9.5 etc on windows 2000.

To install aplications like QuickTime 7.50 on Windows 2000 after installin API extender, does the application like QuickTime 7.50 installer have to be modified to perform the installation of the application like QuickTime 7.50?

To install aplications like QuickTime 7.50 on Windows 2000 after installin API extender, does the application like QuickTime 7.50 installer have to be modified to perform the installation of the application like QuickTime 7.50?

AFAIK you will still need to hack the installer file, as I don't think that installing an API extender will fool the installer's OS version check.

I extracted the Quicktime msi file from the installer exe package using uniextract, and then modified the msi using the KDA utility. Unfortunately, it still didn't work!

I also tried with Orca (another msi editor) with the same result.

It would go through the motions of installing, with no error messages about the OS version, but then stopped with an unspecified error.

:no:

I may try again sometime, but too busy with other things at the moment!

Does Quicktime 7.5 have any great advantages over 7.1.4, which was the last version officially compatible with Windows 2000? I have the "pro" version of 7.1.4, so the main new advantage on the 7.5 free version, full screen playback, I have available anyway.

Edited by Dave-H

I shall look for the KDA utility and examine its function.

Does Quicktime 7.5 have any great advantages over 7.1.4, which was the last version officially compatible with Windows 2000? I have the "pro" version of 7.1.4, so the main new advantage on the 7.5 free version, full screen playback, I have available anyway.
The last good QuickTime version for Windows 2000 and Windiows XP was 7.2.0.240 (but unmodified installer from Apple does not install to Windows 2000). Newer versions may not support certain instruction and have DRM. I tend to just install QuickTime Alternative 1.90 Lite (installer with 7.2.0.240 libraries) and use a player like Media Player Classic or SMPlayer to play the clips.

If you use a programs the require the QucikTime libraries, QuickTime Alternative 1.90 Lite, may be of use to you.

I shall look for the KDA utility and examine its function.

The last good QuickTime version for Windows 2000 and Windiows XP was 7.2.0.240 (but unmodified installer from Apple does not install to Windows 2000). Newer versions may not support certain instruction and have DRM. I tend to just install QuickTime Alternative 1.90 Lite (installer with 7.2.0.240 libraries) and use a player like Media Player Classic or SMPlayer to play the clips.

If you use a programs the require the QucikTime libraries, QuickTime Alternative 1.90 Lite, may be of use to you.

I did install 7.2.0.240 on Windows 2000 successfully after modifying the installer, but the full screen function didn't work properly. :no: The on-screen controls refused to go away after the preset delay as they're supposed to. The only workaround was to switch them off altogether! So I went back to 7.1.4.

The KDA utility you need is FCWIN2K.EXE, which is included in the package.

There's a link to download it earlier in this thread.

I did install 7.2.0.240 on Windows 2000 successfully after modifying the installer, but the full screen function didn't work properly. :no: The on-screen controls refused to go away after the preset delay as they're supposed to. The only workaround was to switch them off altogether!
That may have been a bug in the player (perhaps the defect also occurs on Windows XP). Perhaps it its possible to use different versions of QuickTime players with different versions of the QuickTime libraries (like using 7.1.4).
The KDA utility you need is FCWIN2K.EXE, which is included in the package.

There's a link to download it earlier in this thread.

Thanks. I shall chick it. Edited by Ascii2

Does Quicktime 7.5 have any great advantages over 7.1.4, which was the last version officially compatible with Windows 2000?
The latest official QuickTime version was actually QuickTime 7.1.6.200.

I did install 7.2.0.240 on Windows 2000 successfully after modifying the installer, but the full screen function didn't work properly. :no: The on-screen controls refused to go away after the preset delay as they're supposed to. The only workaround was to switch them off altogether!
That may have been a bug in the player (perhaps the defect also occurs on Windows XP). Perhaps it its possible to use different versions of QuickTime players with different versions of the QuickTime libraries (like using 7.1.4).
I just performed a test. I have not yet installed non-Windows 2000 APIs.

Using the QuickTime 7.2.0.240 libraries on Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4, I played a small 364 x 273 video clip in both QuickTime Player 7.1.6.200 and QuickTime Player 7.2.0.240.

QuickTime Player 7.2.0.240 did not play well. Full screen failed; instead some kind of a theatre like mode occured (GUI changed). Full screen controls were visible in the mode but would not disappear.

The QuickTime Player 7.1.6.200 semmed to play fine until Full Screen was used. In full screen controls would disappear after a while, but playback was slow (AMD Athlon 64 (Venice) 3500+ CPU ussage 100%)..

You're right of course, 7.1.6.200 is the last official version of Quicktime for Windows 2000.

That'll teach me to post things just from memory!

That's the version I have, and it works absolutely fine on my system.

I have tried the KDA system in system file replace mode, and abandoned it because it caused problems as previously mentioned.

What I haven't done yet is try it in "EZ Install" mode, where it just uses wrappers i think and doesn't actually replace the system files.

I'll let you all know how I get on!

• 3 months later...
Windows 2000 to Windows XP API Wrapper Pack

http://win2kgaming.siteburg.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7

The Windows 2000 Gaming forum has moved to:

http://win2kgaming.site90.com/phpBB2/index.php

which is a good resource with useful tool information.

OldCigarette's Windows 2000 XP API Wrapper Pack is now at version 1.7:

http://win2kgaming.site90.com/phpBB2/viewt...php?f=6&t=7

Another good resource is the vogons forum:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php

I succeeded to run iTunes 7.6, QuickTime 7.50, Live Messenger, and foobar2000 9.5 etc on windows 2000.

KDW (Imperfect English site. :P )

I will create new topic here, after I finish up its manuals.

Sounds sweet. Any links to information yet?

KDW (Imperfect English site. :P )

I will create new topic here, after I finish up its manuals.

Sounds sweet. Any links to information yet?

Yes it's now the subject of one of the "sticky" topics.

http://www.msfn.org/board/KDW-FCWIN2K-t120936.html

Plenty of information on KDW and how to use it.

It's great, and win2000 has done a fantastic job with it, but like all such things, you do need to be aware of its limitations.

• 1 month later...
You can search for unofficial driver from win2000's blog:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

If you have HD 4xxx series, you may use the driver at your own risk.

I am using old unofficial 8.4 on X850XT, and OPENGL works without problem.

Someone name dosBOY over at another forum gave me the same link. Yea i am using the 8.12 beta drivers, for my HD2400 PCI and they work perfectly.

I hope they keep making them and supporting w2k, this is awesome :)

thank :thumbup