Fixes & enhancements for WLL.COM

Drugwash

Hmmm .....

Sorry guys, I'm in a wee bit of a tight schedule right now ... WLL/WBL have to take a back seat for another week ...

What's being done so far :

1. I've made tests on VMWare ... and while I don't experience any hanging yet, the animation does not seem to work properly ..... I'm also experiencing system restarts whenever I mount vmdisk to copy over some files (not related to WLL/WBL) ... I may need to rebuild the XP again ...

2. On my Nvidia test system, somehow the dirty bit got 'stuck' ... I'm (will be) trying to retrace what I did or why it got stuck ... but the thing is, scandisk seems to display correctly without any blue-screen/distortion each and everytime it starts ... WBL is currently in use for the test without scandisk.alt and autoscan=2 (auto) ... will see if WLL produce the same ...

3. Using scandisk.alt method as with RP7 still gives 50-50 result ... I going to take a step back (and take a breather) to see if there's anything that I missed ...

I implemented a 4byte watermark in the bitmap, to distinguish an ordinary (or old version of) LOGO.SYS from an embedded coords one

Fine with me, as long as you're happy ...

Rgds

Coincidentally, I've taken a break myself for a while. That system protection error kinda threw me off, for one. And to add insult to injury, after installing VC6 and PSDK 2003 (needed to compile Miranda), the previous WLL version that used to work fine on both main and Win95 machine, started to throw the same error on the main machine.

For that reason, I had to temporarily uninstall WLL (so far, the WLL Installer and LogoTool2 are working fine, but are the only ones working).

There's another issue bugging me - namely an occasional BSOD on startup, before explorer kicks in - and I'd like to sort that out if possible, before playing with WLL again. Otherwise, testing in real environment on the main machine would be more of a pain.

For now, here's LogoTool2 v2.0.1.0 with automatic watermarking.

• 1 month later...

Which latest version do you need exactly: WLL, WBL, LogoTool, WLL Installer?

Either way, I'll try to reupload all of them one of these days; I just need to remember which are the working ones, as I got some borked versions around that shouldn't go out in the wild.

As for WBL, maybe PassingBy will reupload it or he might have some new version (wishful thinking).

I haven't been able to work on WLL lately as I've been extremely busy with other things, but I do intend to return to it a.s.a.p. Stay tuned...

I put together a bundle of WLL.COM, WLLINST.COM, LogoTool.exe, LogoTool2.exe and SVGA.COM with sources included. Please read all the readme files carefully before installing/using any of the files.

Also put WLLINST.COM somewhere at hand, in case computer hangs after the animated screen. If that happens, boot in DOS mode, run WLLINST and everything will go back to normal.

The 7-zip archive is here.

Hmmm .....

:hello:

I'm back with time to spare now ... unfortunately WLL is still on hold as my VMware testbed system needs rebuilding, again ...

The last I tinkered with WLL, I planned for a new "animation routine" ... time will tell if it'll be implemented ...

I'll be looking into some usb related stuff for a while and will resume here once that's done ...

Rgds

Great to see you back! :hello: My ASM knowledge already fell back into the well of oblivion since I got other issues to attend to. Hopefully I'll get some spare time in a week or two, to take the rust off again.

Oh and while you're playing with the USB stuff, maybe you'll have a look at my Huawei phone driver issue posted somewhere around. :rolleyes: Tihiy said it can't be done. A second opinion wouldn't hurt, so I can curse that chinese company at will on my blog, if so. :realmad:

• 2 months later...

I have tested again the logo loaders.

tihiys wll.com version 10.03.08

buffers must be 30 or the wll will drop to dos dring bootup. logo is not crushed when Ati card blinks during bootup. Logo will sometimes cause system freeze during restart. but sometimes not...

wbl

graphically the most beautiful loader, but... with my current system settings it will always freeze system. also i still dont know how to make my own logo.

svgacom

i dont know how to fix the logos... seems to work correctly, but i am bit lazy to port my own bootlogo with special app... also the logo is crushed when ati card initializes.

I created LogoTool2 specially for WBL. Once you designed your bitmap, type down the coordinates of the animation somewhere in a text file, flip the bitmap vertically using an editor of your choice, then start LogoTool2 and enter the animation values - it will save the file automatically as SPLASH.SYS.

Unfortunately I don't have any recent ATi card to test with (not to mention spare time), so this will have to wait for PassingBy to resume his work on WBL, when/if possible.

If there's anything else you need, don't hesitate to ask.

tihyi, your wll has just frozen system three times in attempt to boot. this has not happen yesterday... something is very seriousliy wrong. without wll system will boot correctly always. also i the way how it affects buffers may be quite strange...

The WLL by tihiy is my favourite. i need only bmp in its basical format, and no other manipulation. but in this phase all loaders are unusable :(

Please take into accout that there may be some extreme settings particularly related to your system that make WLL behave this way.

I can say that my version of WLL works fine (apart from the 'bullet' jump in the first bank, sometimes) on my secondary Celeron III 633 MHz machine equipped with an Intel815 8MB integrated videocard. And it also used to work fine on my primary machine (Pentium II 400 MHz, MSI GeForce 4 Ti4200VTD8X 128MB) before I started having random BSOD at startup that hindered my WLL testing and - indirectly - development.

The main idea of this project was to allow animation at any screen position (user-defined coordinates), which has been achieved. Also, if possible, we should've got ridden of certain bugs and I believe WBL has already overcome some of them while adding new features such as the fading effect.

So overall I think we're on the right track and even if the project has somehow stalled for some time, it's not forgotten. Let's hope for the best. :)

well i dont like hw dependant software :) the main part of immolator project is compatibility and it works mainly with normal apps - thanks to all you guys... but it is quite annoying when new part of system has so big trouble with hardware...

i hope you genius-minded programmers will fix it soon :)

Ah, you're too flattering; re-read the first post: I'm no programmer, just playin' around trying to do something good. :) Let's hope the real geniuses like Tihiy and PassingBy will keep offering their help. ;)

Personally I don't like unstable behavior either so I'll do my best trying to fix the issues; I'm afraid it's quite a bit over my head though. However, users' help describing their systems' setups in detail, providing all possible details regarding the problems encountered and testing interim versions would be extremely helpful in fighting the bugs.