Few WS2008 questions

Bad boy Warrior

Just need some clarity here:

1. I have one user (in theory :rolleyes: ) who uses XP and Vista. I create a profile for him on WS2008 and target it for Vista - What would happen mainly with redirected folders (desktop, Home drive etc or with something like Favourites folder if it is being redirected?) IF the user decides to log onto an XP machine?

2. Am i correct in saying i can install WS2008 standard 64 bit......a few months later if needed i can simply change the product key once purchased to upgrade it to a 64 bit Enterprise edition without a reinstall? (Theres a difference in cost so need to know what our chances are getting away with a standard if not, an enterprise but dont want to spend a gazillion pounds just to upgrade)

3. Dont think this is possible but can you upgrade a 32 bit system (WS2003) to a 64 bit WS2008? "If" yes what would happen to the 32 bit apps on there?

Thanks

Just need some clarity here:

1. I have one user (in theory :rolleyes: ) who uses XP and Vista. I create a profile for him on WS2008 and target it for Vista - What would happen mainly with redirected folders (desktop, Home drive etc or with something like Favourites folder if it is being redirected?) IF the user decides to log onto an XP machine?

2. Am i correct in saying i can install WS2008 standard 64 bit......a few months later if needed i can simply change the product key once purchased to upgrade it to a 64 bit Enterprise edition without a reinstall? (Theres a difference in cost so need to know what our chances are getting away with a standard if not, an enterprise but dont want to spend a gazillion pounds just to upgrade)

3. Dont think this is possible but can you upgrade a 32 bit system (WS2003) to a 64 bit WS2008? "If" yes what would happen to the 32 bit apps on there?

Thanks

1. when the user logs on to the Different OS's, 2008 will redirect folders based on what OS they are on.

2. you will not be able to change the product key and upgrade to a different version, it will require an upgrade of the OS (booting from the OS and updating to enterprise)

3. if the Server is 64-bit capable then you can do an upgrade of the OS to 2008, application functionality would be a questions for the app vendors.

Profiles themselves are not compatible between Vista (version 2.0) and XP/2003/older (version 1.0) profiles. If the profiles are just redirected folders, however, and not actual roaming profiles, you'll find it should work without any major issues. If the versions of IE are the same (IE7) on both, it will make favorites redirection easier. Just don't try to redirect cookies and temp internet files - that can potentially cause corruption issues.

You can't upgrade from one product version to another with just a product key. You would have to do an upgrade install over the 2008 standard install from the enterprise media, and provide a new product key of course.

No, you cannot upgrade x86 systems to x64, you HAVE to do a clean install.