Make Shortcuts on Desktop

Redhatcc

Hi, love the site decided to sign up :-P

Neways what im trying to come across is something that would let me slipstream shortcuts onto my desktop after a fresh install. I was thinking along time lines of a batch program but i didnt end up finding anything. I tried a couple programs that in a since makes a copy of your computer, then you change what you want, then run the program again and it will detect the changes made and makes an exe that will do that for you if that makes any sense lol.

Basically in the end what i need once i reload my machine i have a shortcut on my desktop to IE, My Computer, and My Documents. Not sure if its easier said then done.

Long day at work, have a good one guys.

RedHat

For the default desktop icons such as My Documents, My Computer, Internet Explorer, et cetera, you can indeed use Regshot. Make a snapshot of your Registry using Regshot, add these icons to your desktop via your desktop Properties window, make another snapshot and compare both snapshots to see which keys are responsible for the change, import those keys during your unattended installation and you're done. For non-default desktop shortcuts, for example a shortcut to "abc.exe", you can use a batch script in combination with a command line tool such as Shortcut.exe or you could create a silent, self-extracting archive to extract these desktop shortcuts and I believe it's even possible to use default SFX commands to create shortcuts.

found a good program that does the job if anyone needs... takes a snapshot of your computer, you make some changes, then takes another snapshot and compares what has changed and makes a .exe that makes them changes on any computer..

http://www.epsilonsquared.com/

nice free software... hope someone finds this useful

yes installwatch is one of the better programs just a shame the developers didn't take it further, i use it myselfe. not fully compatible with Vista well the one you download :whistle: