Windows identification

Offler

if you run an installer which expects newer version of windows you may get error message even in case when all exports are working...

here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189249

is an example program how it can be done. how can be output from kernel getversionex modified?

this applies to steam.exe mostly, while this executable really dont use any missing export (kex 032a)

Edited by Offler

partially. if the app gets error message like "linked to missing export" it may help. but if the app gives error message like "application expects newer version of windows" it means that in app is running similar program. these can block execution even when exports are ok.

for example steamengine main executable has this problem. all exports are ok, but app wont run.

i tried to patch optional header in kernel32.dll but it has no effect. i imported there XP signatures... thats not the way how steam identifies the system... actually it didnt help by no app now.

also i really dont know how and when steam use other executables (with missing exports)...

later i realized that each executable has its own optional header with OS signatures... i really dont know for what...