Windows 7 Wishlist!

Legolash2o

• Built-in Virtual OS emulation (like VMWare)
  • No UAC!!! Worst feature in Vista by far. I hate that thing.
  • Need a resource manager to shut down unused processes and services
  • Rename everything in the control panel back to how it was in XP and before and stop moving things around. This is annoying!
  • I agree with having a 64-bit version ONLY OS. It's time to move on. For those still running ancient software, they can buy copies of Win98 SE off eBay. haha. Also, it'll force us that are using multi-boot systems to get better hardware, anyway so using VMWare is a more viable option. I'm sure if I even tried to install Windows 7 in VMWare on top of Windows Vista my computer would explode w/ only 2 GB of RAM. I haven't gone 64-bit yet for fear of compatibility issues but I will with Windows 7 and I'll probably do a masive upgrade on my machine as well.
  • I also agree w/ having only one version of Windows 7, unlike Vista where there's like 5 of em (I lost count/don't care really). C'mon, it's not necessary. Why couldn't we have used Windows Update to get any necessary tools that might be found in Vista Ultimate that aren't found in Vista Basic?
  • Make it easier to get to the command prompt. Some of us prefer to type than click.
  • Add a warning message when you click Shutdown. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally shut down my computer just because my hand went retarded and clicked it instead of the Sleep option. Add an option to suppress the warning.

Win7 (as seen in 7000)

- Far easier (and more understandable) to tone down or disable UAC, which is nice

- No OS emulation inbox probably because they'd get sued by the likes of Sun and VMWare for pushing their product over another (although you do have the option to boot your system from a VHD file - not quite a VM, but close)

- Getting to the command prompt is pretty simple (start, type cmd, hit enter), but you can pin it to the start menu or taskbar to make it easier going forward

As to the others, we're likely to see this control panel style stick, because most people actually like it (power users do not, but classic view still exists for us via the "All control panel items" option in the list). As to a resource manager, again, this is more a power-user feature that likely isn't going to get into Windows. I would too love an easy tool to tone down some of Win7's services just to satisfy the control freak inside, but honestly it's *really* snappy and I don't feel like I need to tweak Win7 at all yet to make it faster, as it's really fast already. The shutdown dialog in Vista was my biggest pet peeve, but on the other hand I do make fun of the OS for consistently asking me "are you sure?" over and over too, so I guess I can live with them not second guessing me (and I'll just have to be more careful).

• No UAC!!! Worst feature in Vista by far. I hate that thing.

no way. The problem is your lack of knowledge about NT security :rolleyes: Install XP and your user to standard user group and do the same things like you did under Vista. What happens? Right, you got message "Access Denied" and nothing works. But with UAC you can continue your work by elevating the process very easy :whistle:

Edited by MagicAndre1981

Built-in Virtual OS emulation (like VMWare)

Great way to get into court over anti-trust, i.e. competitors claiming Microsoft uses their "monopoly" over the OS to force their own virtualization products on their customers, thereby killing their business...

No UAC!!! Worst feature in Vista by far.

Lots of people disagree. Either ways, if you don't like it, it's trivial to disable (even msconfig has entries for it, only takes 2 clicks)

Need a resource manager to shut down unused processes and servicesv

Processes? Just quit the apps you don't want open. Task manager also works. Or if you mean startup processes then just use autoruns...

Services? services.msc has been there since pretty much forever. There's also the services tab in the task manager, and if you're a command line guy (like you say you are), then you'd also know about net start/net stop and sc.exe too. Lots of options here.

Rename everything in the control panel back to how it was in XP and before and stop moving things around. This is annoying!

I disagree. I think it's better this way. Yes, sometimes it's an extra click to get to things, but I think it's still better than having like a hundred different icons in the control panel and having to find the right one... No big deal either ways. And if you really can't adapt, then just use the classic view. Things will always move around with new versions of *any* OS, get used to it, it's called change.

I agree with having a 64-bit version ONLY OS

It's the way forward for sure, but there's still a lot of people & company with legacy stuff around.

I also agree w/ having only one version of Windows 7

Yeah, so basic users pay as much as companies and power users (only to have features they don't care for anyways). News for ya: people want cheap, and MS isn't going to sell the equivalent of Win 7 Ultimate for $100 or less.

Make it easier to get to the command prompt. Some of us prefer to type than click.

You must be joking! If you're the kind of person who "uses the cmd line more than click around", surely getting to cmd.exe isn't an issue for you:

• hit start, c, o and there Command Prompt is right at the top, just hit enter (can also be pinned at the top of the start menu)
  • hit start + r, then type cmd and enter (just like before)
  • make a shortcut on your desktop (just like before)
  • make a quickstart icon (or "pin" it in Win 7 I guess), much like before (no need to even click on them anymore as of vista -- just use the shortcut keys)
  • use any of the "cmd here" registry entries/tweaks or make your own
  • use any of the alternative cmd shells (tons of them around, even as "addons" for various apps e.g. VSCmdShell for Visual Studio)

etc... If you use the cmd prompt even more than that, then you can even have it open as a startup entry, or just not close it all the time or something. It never was hard, and it's not getting any harder. No idea what you're expecting here.

:unsure:

i fear that they might add one more VERSION for specifially for Gaming (:crazy: not a gaming mode but full os only for that) <_<

abt wga: due to high level of piracy for XP they designed much better protection agaist it in Vista, and is a success, if this works against piracy they just simply copy that to next ver. too.

1 & 4 may happen true with MinWin being core and add layers or apps above it

they already have a gaming version. its called Ultimate..

Hi, i was thinking alot about a "game mode" (not a game version) as it's easy to program already a software that:

- shutdown antivirus, firewall

- stop all uneeded services and background processes

- clean up RAM

in order to play a game eventually online. And maybe with a profile management.

Don't know if software like this exists but sure it's not an hard work to build. A modern OS should support this feature. More processes, more services and programs preload for everyday use, to surf and office. Only the necessary while playing battlefield online :)

Bye!

Hi, i was thinking alot about a "game mode" (not a game version) as it's easy to program already a software that:

- shutdown antivirus, firewall

-

In other words get hacked and have your system used for everything else than gaming. :)

The right answer is to get the game developers to start writing decent code. Connecting through a firewall is no problem.

Av doesn't use that much of the system that it should be a problem. Optimize the gaming code instead.