Windows 7 Wishlist!

Legolash2o

I have no problems with RAM usage - my TinyVista takes only 300-400MB at idle - but i have a problem with the general "feel" of the OS. It's smoother than XP, but this smoothness makes it feel laggy.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3

To sum up everything that is actually neede is to let user be able to customize the kernel itself as well as ability to choose what is installed, down the the smallest .ico file. When MS release update for kernel, its updated on the individual packages needed to build the kernel.

A bit gentoo style but at 2009/20010 whenever, that isnt a problem nor is it today imho.

There's absolutely nothing majorly wrong with the NT kernel except it has dependencies that shouldn't be in there. The MinWin project is a totally self contained kernel. It doesn't rely on anything outside of itself. Everything else plugs in. Windows 7 may see the use of this, but I highly doubt it.

In reply to what you posted...

The kernel will never be user servicable like in *nix. That would have MSFT relinquish the control it has over the OS.

I think the kernel space and user space should be 100% seperated. There is no reason a user mode app should be able to bring down the system as is currently possible on all versions of Windows.

And for goodness sakes, it they're going to get security concious after all these years of problems, at least build the security in instead of slapping it on top of everything else.

I also don't want to see the allow to run dialogue box.

Vista keeps on asking for allowing a program to run.I keep clicking yes without seing a programs name and a week ago a virus downloader asked to run and i clicked because i have got habit of it.And no sooner my computer was infected with viruses.

If anything I hope windows 7 uses MORE ram

Thats mean :no:

I would like Windows 7 to run well on my computer without having to buy more ram.

lol.. :P ram are so cheap nowdays, even i want windows 7 to use more ram as this will really push people to buy more ram and software developers to really adopt and write x64 applications and take full advantage of x64 cpu's, and ofcourse the main benefit of x64 cpu, 4gb ram and more

Edited by shahed26

lol.. :P ram are so cheap nowdays, even i want windows 7 to use more ram as this will really push people to buy more ram and software developers to really adopt and write x64 applications and take full advantage of x64 cpu's, and ofcourse the main benefit of x64 cpu, 4gb ram and more

I agree :D

• 1 month later...

Id like to have no Windows Genuine Advantage - I dont support piracy, but its un-neccessary. Pirates can crack it, so in reality, only genuine users have to have the pain of it, and theres always some false alarms. You don't see Mac Genuine Advantage or Linux Genuine Advantage!

You don't see Mac Genuine Advantage or Linux Genuine Advantage!

well most linux distros are free and redhat (a non free distro) requires subscription to RHN to download updates (critical or not) so thats worse than WGA if you ask me (ties your personal info to your license key). I cant say what the situation is on Macs because im not a member of their cult but im pretty sure you cant get hackintosh updates from apple.

In my experience, WGA is is fairly painless (unless youre using the download center and firefox) if you do have to deal with it but most of the time it doesnt require any intervention from me to work correctly

You don't see Mac Genuine Advantage

Mainly because it's locked to run only on their hardware (the absolute lock-in). It's not like billions of people everywhere on the web could just install it on their PC.

or Linux Genuine Advantage!

Well, it's free... Same for BSD.

Yes, WGA sucks. I never had problems about WGA saying my stuff isn't legit, but a lot of downloads on MS' site require WGA validation, and you have to fire up IE for that one (or download and run some validating app, hardly better -- geek just posted that too while I was writing this). But they were bound to do something to reduce piracy at some point, and seemingly they're not doing bad at all.

Anyways, wishlist wise, there's about a million different things they could add/change/enhance and such (none of this total rewrite nonsense either):

• make aero more like compiz fusion (pretty much all of the features)
  • something like taskbar shuffle (move tasks around in the taskbar)
  • something like ultramon (better dual monitor support)
  • utils like process explorer, process monitor and autoruns should be part of the OS/default install
  • something like unlocker built-in
  • make the zip file handling not suck (and handle more than .zip, that thing is useless; just add .7z support, and no one would use zip anymore in a couple years)
  • make the CD burning not suck (a real burning app for a change, like nero)
  • also add a CD image app that does iso read/write, and editing them too (like imgburn + ultraiso)
  • a system cleaner like ccleaner/ncleaner built-in (the built-in one is worthless & annoying)
  • keep improving the photo gallery (make it more acdsee-ish, add more options & features)
  • a decent ftp client (and server for the server OS, IIS is great and all... but not as a FTP server)
  • a nice rss feed reader like FeedDemon (perhaps with podcast support)
  • a good download manager app
  • make the snipping tool better (more like snagit), although it's a good start
  • leave notepad alone, but add another one with more features than just file open & save (perhaps like notepad++/editpad/ultraedit)
  • similarly, leave mspaint alone, but add a not completely useless app i.e. with more features (perhaps like an older paint shop pro)
  • while we're at it, leave the old calc alone too, and add a nice one (graphing, with reverse polish notation perhaps, etc)
  • music/video players worth using (like MPC)
  • a better disk defragmenter
  • maybe some admin/power user-only tools (like regsnap & what not -- and why not a ramdisk? and a hex editor? a MSI repackaging/authoring tool?)
  • add even more command line utils (wget/sed/awg/grep/...-like apps, imagex & such, etc)
  • include the latest versions of all your runtimes & frameworks & such stuff (like silverlight)
  • make their mail app not suck (be it named outlook express or otherwise)
  • more "basic" apps, like perhaps a html editor (or blog "editor" these days...)
  • more config options on most things (options for the screensavers would be a start)
  • a system-wide dictionary that would work in all apps (much like firefox's built-in one)
  • something good to sync files (rsync-ish, with a front end?)
  • keep improving the firewall (not that I use one, but there shouldn't be a need for 3rd party tools for this)
  • some kind of universal/unified update mechanism for all your apps would rock for sure
  • a web browser that doesn't suck this badly (I've long given up even wishing for this one actually)
  • maybe a basic sound editor (I'm not asking for sound forge here, just the basics)
  • while I don't care for it or want one, lots of people would probably like a dock
  • a good font manager (long overdue)

etc. I could list LOTS more.

99% of these aren't issues with Vista but Windows in general. And while Vista is a nice improvement over XP, I bet we won't see 99% of these addressed with Windows 7. And sadly, there's "nowhere" else to go. Linux doesn't run Windows apps (no, WINE isn't the answer either), and OS X is more of a problem than a solution (no thanks!). It really sucks wanting half of two different OS'es, and knowing you'll never get your wish.

I wish they'd actually look back a try to slim down and speed up their operating system/gaming platform/multimedia/kitchen sink. Cut out all the useless extra crap that majority of people don't even use anyway - or have it all as optional downloads would be even better.

I guess I wish there wasn't this magic need to upgrade your hardware to "cope" with an operating system where you just end up doing the same old things you did in windows 95 or even windows 3.x anyway. Only it costs you hundreds of dollars more for the priveledge. But I know how it will be. "Oh noes your computer is rubbish upgrade it. Again! Pay more! For the same things you did before!" Oh well I can dream :)

Anyways, wishlist wise, there's about a million different things they could add/change/enhance and such (none of this total rewrite nonsense either):

:puke:

I say just leave the feature-rich programs to third-party developers. They do a good job of making them.

Besides I think Windows has too many programs already :puke:

Edited by anonymous_user

have it all as optional downloads would be even better.

Then everyone who does more than click start has to download and install a thousand more things separately? No thanks! That'd be a huge step back. Besides, even if they removed basically every app coming with windows, you'd only save like 1GB of disk space, which is worth like all of 15 cents nowadays.

you just end up doing the same old things you did in windows 95 or even windows 3.x anyway

Do you actually remember what you did with those? Yeah, nearly nothing at all in windows 3.x's case, and not a whole lot in win95's case. Nowadays, people do heavy multitasking, editing photos, playing mp3's, and countless more things that nearly nobody did back then.

I say just leave the feature-rich programs to third-party developers. They do a good job of making them.

They do, but it still requires us to chase a couple dozen extra apps to have basic functionality that should be part of the OS, and in a LOT of cases, they also do a good job of charging money for it.

Besides I think Windows has too many programs already :puke:

:blink: It hardly comes with anything. And 99% of what it comes with (e.g. outlook express & IE) is garbage not worth using, and a lot of them apps haven't gained a single useful feature since windows 3.x (e.g. notepad & calc). Removing apps & stuff will just make Windows crippled and useless. Besides, I'd love to see the marketing for that! "Windows v7 now with LESS features!" or "Windows v7: does even less stuff!" That'll sell great I'm sure ;) They need to work on making it a good desktop environment, not making it suck more.

1. ability to take out visual effects (ie same way i speed up win xp)

2.WiMax

3.doesn't treat me like a complete id***

4.no pointless name changing

5.flash drive bootable

6.reasonable price

7.download size under vista size. man vista download is a monster! that why i didn't get it.