Vistaish sidebar for win win98

Xstyle

To Xstyle:

The error message (RUNDLL32) doesn't happen any more. I wish I could know why. I feel at ease to know you also have the taskbar issue! About the third thing, as I said it was not serious, then just forget it. By the way, your Rsidebar looks pretty nice. Are you afraid if I intend to try it?

Am i missing something? What is wia10e.exe??
I've found it here but not tried it yet:

http://www.msfn.org/board/WIA-Windows-Imag...10-t113276.html

To Snob:

Do you have the Taskbar prolem after you reinstalled RP7? I mean can it auto hide then? If it can, please tell me how you could do this:

I kept the Explorer toolbars from Renovatio, because they look better, IMO. And some icons are kept as well, which is cool.
The icons from the Renovatio are so nice that I want to keep them too. Thanks if you have time to reply.
Aloha what your language OS ?
Libanoro, it is English. I wonder how Xstyle knows it.

To Thydreamwalker:

PLEASE TRY TO COPY YOUR Explorer.Exe5.50.4134.100 file(from C:\Windows to C:\drive -then the same version of explorer.exe will be in both area's to stabilize system)
What are you talking about? I'm rather confused because I don't have C:\drive as you said.

^^I'm glad that the error stoped bugging u. Aloha what your language OS ?

Libanoro, it is English. I wonder how Xstyle knows it.--i read wrong..i thought he was asking me.

About the sidebar...it's not finished yet...i must do some work to the playlist and then i'll post the Rsidebar.

:whistle: MAIN DRIVE=C:\,or Windows 98SE Drive;;;;;;;;;;;In older systems......A:\,B

;\=floppy drives..C:,D:,E:+usually=harddrives or C: was main drive area.......< :rolleyes: i guess newer systems too complex for c:\ anymores?>What i meant is that make sure the only version available on your 98SE-formatted drive is Windows Explorer.Exe from RP7 -or which ever Windows Explorer version YOU prefer -ONLY!!! :As ,TWO different versions cause RUNDLL32 to go wacky :*Win98SE uses 4.72.xxxx,then updates adds newer upgrades to 4.72.36or4.72.3812...,and RP7 adds Explorer.Exe5.50.4134.100{Kernel0.3.2.a does not like older explorer versions for some reason,yet works great with 5.50.4134.100 from RP7}....................................................................................... TO:XSTYLE****WIA10e.exe is in MSFN Forums from MD?-as it improves pictures as older Microsoft Version of Picture IT 2.0,just smaller simple extension of same programs values. :hello: thydreamwalker .........http://www.msfn.org/board/WIA-Windows-Imag...10-t113276.html

Edited by thydreamwalker

i read wrong..i thought he was asking me.
I misunderstood. I thought you were answering for me.

To Thydreamwalker:

Sorry, because the more I read your explanation, the more I am confused! When I searched for Explorer.exe on drive C, I had two files. They have the same version (5.50.4134.100) but different sizes. The Explorer.exe in C:\WINDOWS\revbckup is 396 KB. I think it is from RP7. The other in C:\WINDOWS is 732 KB, it is from the Renovatio, right? And you suggested me to copy the one from RP7 into C:\WINDOWS, overwriting the Explorer.exe from the Renovatio, didn't you? It doesn't allow me to do so, saying "The specified file is being used by Windows." And if it allowed, would I lose all the nice icons from the Renovatio? I don't install Kernel 0.3.2.a on my computer.

PS. I'm afraid you will be confused with my words as I was with yours! I don't know how to express this clearly.

i read wrong..i thought he was asking me.
I misunderstood. I thought you were answering for me.

To Thydreamwalker:

Sorry, because the more I read your explanation, the more I am confused! When I searched for Explorer.exe on drive C, I had two files. They have the same version (5.50.4134.100) but different sizes. The Explorer.exe in C:\WINDOWS\revbckup is 396 KB. I think it is from RP7. The other in C:\WINDOWS is 732 KB, it is from the Renovatio, right? And you suggested me to copy the one from RP7 into C:\WINDOWS, overwriting the Explorer.exe from the Renovatio, didn't you? It doesn't allow me to do so, saying "The specified file is being used by Windows." And if it allowed, would I lose all the nice icons from the Renovatio? I don't install Kernel 0.3.2.a on my computer.

PS. I'm afraid you will be confused with my words as I was with yours! I don't know how to express this clearly.

Here is my advice: make a backup to both of the files and then start in ms-dos mode and delete one of the explorer. After that the system will recognize the only explorer u have left in the windows dir.

:blushing: ALOHA:*XSTYLE'S CLOSER TO KNOW as the "RENOVATIO "-Explorer.exe version prevails over RP7 as it melts into previous explorer .exe's,just keep 1-version as i learned the hard way as we forget to check our installs sometimes(* :rolleyes: SORRY..about the confusion.....OOPS! :blink: ) :hello: XSTYLE:Why is explorer.exe larger or why wouldn't it be same size as RP7?;as i noticed Renovatio runs smoother than RP7'sversion...too? :whistle: thx.......thydreamwalker

:blushing: ALOHA:*XSTYLE'S CLOSER TO KNOW as the "RENOVATIO "-Explorer.exe version prevails over RP7 as it melts into previous explorer .exe's,just keep 1-version as i learned the hard way as we forget to check our installs sometimes(* :rolleyes: SORRY..about the confusion.....OOPS! :blink: ) :hello: XSTYLE:Why is explorer.exe larger or why wouldn't it be same size as RP7?;as i noticed Renovatio runs smoother than RP7'sversion...too? :whistle: thx.......thydreamwalker

My explorer.exe is larger because i changed all the icons inside it(90icons). The RP7 explorer has 64 icons...so that's why it's larger.

Progress has been made with the RSidebar...... ver. 0.1.1 it's ready!! :thumbup

Download: http://rapidshare.com/files/97945515/RSidebar_ver011.exe

nonamedz1.th.png

For ver. 0.1.2 wanted features:

-analog clock;

Edited by Xstyle

Xstyle, thanks for replying.

I reinstalled RP7 and then tried to replace as many files from your Renovatio as possible. With some files, Shell32.dll for example, I had to do from Dos. I have never done this before so it took me over 3 hours and I had to restart Windows around 10 times! I have almost every icons I like now. And the most important thing is that the Taskbar can auto hide. I keep Explorer.exe (as Thydreamwalker suggested in post #34) and THUMBVW.dll from RP7 because it works better for me. Your Shell32.dll is also much bigger than that from RP7. I notice there are two Open Folder icons in Shell32.dll, instead of one Open and one Closed Folder icon. I have to use Iconpackager to fix this.

I'm quite pleased with my Win 98 now, Xstyle.

I have downloaded your sidebar and will try it later. Just one more question, can it be uninstalled, in case I change my mind? Thanks in advance for your answer because I won't post a reply after this. I don't want to spam your thread any more! By the way, I also have the same watermelon picture as you.

(* SORRY..about the confusion.....OOPS! )
Never mind, Thydreamwalker. I prefer the Explorer.exe from RP7 to the one from Renovatio. So, thank you for your advice in post #34.

PS. Curse the internet server at my place today! I wrote a long post but when I hit Add Reply, nothing happened. I lost the post, and have to type it again!

Edited by Aloha

Xstyle!

This side bar of yours is a fantastic addition to windows 98! I was secretly longing for just such a glory to manifest itself.

For the record, for those who are not privy to nostalgic tid-bits (some people thinking that the side bar concept with the clock on top etc. is new to Vista)—a side bar in that basic form, but quite primitive in appearance, was available even to windows 3.11 users!

Once again—wonderful!!!!

I have downloaded your sidebar and will try it later. Just one more question, can it be uninstalled, in case I change my mind?

You are talking about the RSidebar? Because if you are, the RSidebar doesn't install, it's a standalone program...so you can delete it if you don't want the program anymore.

Hey Xstyle I tried your sidebar yesterday for just a few before I sacked out and it works great, I really appreciate it so don't get me wrong, but a few questions that you may have already spoke to (so sorry). So, do the slideshow files have to be bmps, All my pics are jpgs, I'm not sure?? Also, am I understanding that you can't drag mp3s into the box, you have to do the path dialog? Will it have drag and drop capabilities?

Hey Xstyle I tried your sidebar yesterday for just a few before I sacked out and it works great, I really appreciate it so don't get me wrong, but a few questions that you may have already spoke to (so sorry). So, do the slideshow files have to be bmps, All my pics are jpgs, I'm not sure?? Also, am I understanding that you can't drag mp3s into the box, you have to do the path dialog? Will it have drag and drop capabilities?

You pointed exactly the features that i'm working on(without the analog clock and the automatic next track selection). The slideshow it's a little tricky for me right now.......but it will be better in the next version(with the possibility to change the wallpaper with one click on it. Drag and drop will be available for mp3's. :hello:

Edited by Xstyle

Xstyle,

When I install I get 'Audio initialization failed' and if I try to play an mp3 I get 'error loading file' ... Since nobody else has reported this I presume it's a problem at my end...but have you any idea what it might be?