WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) for Windows 98SE 1.1

AFAIK, MTP is a super-set of PTP (well, at least, it supersedes it and I believe it is backward-compatible with PTP devices).

Joe.

After reading heres my take on everything.

The Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) drivers is a part of Windows Image Acquisition (WIA). Microsoft said so themselves.

I don't think anyone can run Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) without using Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) at least on Win98.

There are 3rd party drivers which I won't be adding to get (PTP) working.

One issue though - Fredledingue says his other TWAIN devices disappeared after installing WIA. If that's the case, I won't risk installing WIA, as it was extremely difficult getting my TWAIN stuff from HP to work in the first place!

Joe.

Thats because TWAIN and WIA don't mix, wise words from Microsoft.

Reason why (WIA) deletes STICPL.CPL because its apart of TWAIN and WIA doesn't use it. I believe you have to use one or the other. If you have TWAIN drivers and then install WIA, its a chance that twain will break.

TWAIN is only for scanners AFAIK and btw I am not sure TWAIN even requires STI. WIA is mostly for digital cameras but if you've got an USB flash card reader you can do without it easily I guess. I stripped WIA from my WinMe system long ago. I can't really remember exactly why but it had to do with it kicking regularly in for no reason I believe.

TWAIN is only for scanners AFAIK and btw I am not sure TWAIN even requires STI. WIA is mostly for digital cameras but if you've got an USB flash card reader you can do without it easily I guess. I stripped WIA from my WinMe system long ago. I can't really remember exactly why but it had to do with it kicking regularly in for no reason I believe.

Well, I would like to add it but it's getting confusing. I not sure who can actually test what. I need three people with at least one of the three devices.

WIA + PTP + MTP. Once I get the team of three we can move forward.

I have two older cameras that use TWAIN.

I have two newer cameras that are Mass Storage Devices.

I can load pix/vids from the older cameras into IrfanView using TWAIN, or transfer the files using the bundled (custom) apps.

I don't use and hadn't heard of WIA before this thread. :unsure: A worthy topic and good discussion, however!

AFAIK, MTP is a super-set of PTP (well, at least, it supersedes it and I believe it is backward-compatible with PTP devices).

Joe.

After reading heres my take on everything.

The Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) drivers is a part of Windows Image Acquisition (WIA). Microsoft said so themselves.

I don't think anyone can run Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) without using Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) at least on Win98.

Not really true. I have successfully used the 'wmdmcmd' tool instead of WIA.

One issue though - Fredledingue says his other TWAIN devices disappeared after installing WIA. If that's the case, I won't risk installing WIA, as it was extremely difficult getting my TWAIN stuff from HP to work in the first place!

Joe.

Thats because TWAIN and WIA don't mix, wise words from Microsoft.

Reason why (WIA) deletes STICPL.CPL because its apart of TWAIN and WIA doesn't use it.

Am I cynical, or does that seem like sabotage? Anyway, if Fredledingue is able to restore TWAIN operation by restoring STICPL.CPL, then I can also try this WIA stuff.

I have two older cameras that use TWAIN.

I have two newer cameras that are Mass Storage Devices.

I can load pix/vids from the older cameras into IrfanView using TWAIN, or transfer the files using the bundled (custom) apps.

I don't use and hadn't heard of WIA before this thread. :unsure: A worthy topic and good discussion, however!

New, newer, newest. Unfortunately, MS seems to have persuaded many camera manufacturers to switch from Mass Storage to PTP/MTP in their newest offerings. Probably for DRM purposes (yeah, stupid mentality, how is DRM relevant to pictures I take with my own camera, huh?).

Joe.

Hello there, well I installed mtp and thought my fuji camera would work with it.. But it did not. It needed it's own ptp driver.

I ask myself if there is a universal ptp driver for xp. I also installed my camera on a xp laptop and my camera worked at once.

I ask myself if there is something as a universal ptp driver for windows xp. I do not believe there is a universal driver for windows 98.

Not really true. I have successfully used the 'wmdmcmd' tool instead of WIA.

Maybe thats Microsoft way of saying upgrade immediately or you can't have your cake and eat it too. Thanks I'll make note of that.

Am I cynical, or does that seem like sabotage? Anyway, if Fredledingue is able to restore TWAIN operation by restoring STICPL.CPL, then I can also try this WIA stuff.

That would be great if you can test. The more testing, better the solution.

Unless someone actually able to confirm that WIA doesn't conflict with TWAIN drivers, then I won't be able to add it.

If I can't test it, I won't add it. Sorry! But if you can test it with positive results I will add it.

I installed the unofficial WIA update for Windows 98SE quite some time ago.

I've never actually used it with a camera or scanner (I installed it just because I thought that it would be a good thing to have!) but I do also have TWAIN which I do use with my old Epson SCSI scanner.

The presence of WIA on the system doesn't seem to have affected the working of the TWAIN drivers at all, the scanner still works fine with TWAIN as it always has.

:yes:

Well, that's encouraging. It would be nice if Fredledingue could give more details and perhaps try restoring the 'STICPL.CPL' file to see if that restored TWAIN functionality.

Anyway, I've decided to give this a try too ... after first making a backup image of my partition.

Joe.

Edited by jds

Anyway, I've decided to give this a try too ... after first making a backup image of my partition.

Joe.

Well, I've tried to make this stuff work over the past couple of days, with the following results :

Firstly, Fredledingue is right. After installing WIA, "HP Scanjet Scanners" (links to 'HPSCNMGR.DLL') no longer appeared in the Control Panel. The 'HPSCNMGR.DLL' file was newer and the 'STICPL.CPL' file was missing. The HP scanner still showed in Device Manager and was supposedly working properly, however, it was neither recognized as present by the HP software nor the WIA "Scanner and Camera Wizard" (links to '%windir%\SYSTEM\WIAACMGR.EXE -SelectDevice'). Restoring the 'HPSCNMGR.DLL' and 'STICPL.CPL' files made no apparent difference.

As for the Fujifilm camera ...

- Using the Microsoft PTP/MTP drivers, as customized in the INF file I uploaded elsewhere, I could only get it to work with the Microsoft 'wmdmcmd.exe' tool, not the Fujifilm software, nor the WIA "Scanner and Camera Wizard", neither was it listed under "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control Panel.

- Conversely, the supplied Fujifilm driver did not work with the Microsoft 'wmdmcmd.exe' tool, but did work with the Fujifilm software and was listed under "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control Panel. However, this too failed to be recognized by the WIA "Scanner and Camera Wizard".

When I deleted the HP scanner from Device Manager and rebooted, it was re-installed as a WIA device and was listed under "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control Panel, however, it failed to be recognized by the WIA "Scanner and Camera Wizard".

After deleting the HP scanner again from Device Manager and also the associated INF file installed by the WIA (I forgot to note its name), I was finally able to restore operation by re-installing the original HP software (a difficult task involving three different version of software and various work-arounds, which is why I hesitated to do this experiment).

So I can confirm that this WIA stuff can break your TWAIN scanner installation.

As for getting it do do anything useful, unfortunately, I was only able to get the two devices listed under "Scanners and Cameras" in the Control Panel, yet somehow, not recognized by the WIA "Scanner and Camera Wizard". I also found that the Microsoft PTP/MTP driver wasn't recognized at all (for the Fujifilm camera), yet only this worked with the Microsoft 'wmdmcmd.exe' tool.

Joe.

Hello Joe. I installed my Fuji film camera with the software finepixviewer that was on the cd-rom I got with the camera. There was alo a ptp driver on it.

Scanner & Cameras was removed from control panel. But I opened explorer and there I could see Scanner & Cameras and I could see my the name

of my camera. When it is not connected I see add device under Scanner & Cameras under explorer.