RIS and Dell Inspiron 530

g-b-t-b

Hi,

We have recently purchased some Dell Inspiron 530's.

The first thing we did was to install them using a Windows XP with SP2 disc, we then added all the applications needed and used Riprep to make an image.

However, upon trying to image ther rest of the computers using RIS, with the image we just created, we got a message saying "Cannot find the network adapter drivers, contact your admin."

After spending 2 days on google and the MS Knowledgebase, trying all the different suggestions, adding the drivers to the $oem$ folder, editing the .inf file ect, we still cannot get it to work.

Any suggestions would be greatly appricatated.

On another note we made an image using sysprep, which we added to WDS install images, and the same message comes up, when booting into WDS setup.

Hi,

The first thing we did was to install them using a Windows XP with SP2 disc, we then added all the applications needed and used Riprep to make an image.

However, upon trying to image ther rest of the computers using RIS, with the image we just created, we got a message saying "Cannot find the network adapter drivers, contact your admin."

After spending 2 days on google and the MS Knowledgebase, trying all the different suggestions, adding the drivers to the $oem$ folder, editing the .inf file ect, we still cannot get it to work.

On another note we made an image using sysprep, which we added to WDS install images, and the same message comes up, when booting into WDS setup.

During the text mode setup phase Windows will pick up network interface drivers from the i386 folder. You have to extract the .sys and .inf files from the driver package and copy them to the mentioned folder.

I might add that it is usually a good idea to spare one OEM installed machine intact, this way it is easier for you to go through the Device Manager and visually browse the hardware installed.

Hi,

During the text mode setup phase Windows will pick up network interface drivers from the i386 folder. You have to extract the .sys and .inf files from the driver package and copy them to the mentioned folder.

I might add that it is usually a good idea to spare one OEM installed machine intact, this way it is easier for you to go through the Device Manager and visually browse the hardware installed.

We have done this, and it still refuses to load past that screen saying cannot locate driver, i am a beginner at RIS, and i have really only been given the job to maintain it, due to the fact my collegue left, and all he taught me to do was to create a riprep image and make it unattended. The rest im trying to teach myself as i go along.

Which i386 folder does it need to be located in? At the moment we have about 10 images on the server, and one of the images is a ripsetup? (cant remember the exact name) image.

Can anyone give me a simple how to guide on what i need to do to get it to work, at the moment we have only brought 7 of these PC's but we are going to be purchasing another 80 soon (for deployment over the summer) and would like to get the image in place now.

All help appriciated, no matter how small.

copy these text mode drivers to your i386 directory. They have been edited to work in RIS/WDS.

http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/forum/v...p?f=2&t=315

Ok, have copied those into the folder and still no luck getting it to work, which i386 folder should they be placed into, the riprep image, or the risetup image, i have also read about needing to delete some PNF files?

copy these text mode drivers to your i386 directory. They have been edited to work in RIS/WDS.

http://www.doitrightconsulting.net/forum/v...p?f=2&t=315

Ok, have copied those into the folder and still no luck getting it to work, which i386 folder should they be placed into, the riprep image, or the risetup image, i have also read about needing to delete some PNF files?

I'm talking about the RIS image (flat-file image). not RIPREP. There's actually very good howto somewhere here at the MSFN forum. You should check that out. Before that, see Microsoft KB:

How to add a third-party OEM network adapter to a RIS installation

Check with the OEM to determine whether the supplied network adapter driver is digitally signed. If the drivers from the manufacturer contain a catalog (.cat) file, they are probably properly signed. Drivers signed by Microsoft have been verified and tested to work with Windows. If your driver has not been signed but you still want to use it, make sure to add the following unattended-setup parameter to the .sif file that is located in the RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Dir_name\I386\Templates folder:

[unattended]

DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

Note that if the OEM driver is an update of an included Windows XP driver (for example, if the drivers have the same name), the file must be signed or else Setup uses the included driver instead.

1. On the RIS server, copy the OEM-supplied .inf and .sys files for the network adapter to the RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Dir_name\i386 folder. This allows Setup to use the driver during the text-mode portion of the installation.

2. At the same level as the i386 folder on the RIS image, create a $oem$ folder. Use the following structure:

\$oem$\$1\Drivers\Nic

3. Copy the OEM-supplied driver files to this folder. Note the folder in which the .inf file looks for its drivers. Some manufacturers place the .inf file in a folder and copy the driver files from a subfolder. If this is the case, create the same folder structure below the one you created in this step.

4. Make the following changes to the .sif file that is used for this image installation:

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = yes

OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic

Stop and then restart the Remote Installation service (BINLSVC) on the RIS server. To do this, type the following commands at the command prompt and press ENTER after each command:

net Stop binlsvc

net Start binlsvc

Stopping and restarting the Remote Installation service is necessary because the Boot Information Negotiation Layer (BINL) needs to read all the new network adapter-related .inf files and create .pnf files in the image. This is a time-consuming task and is performed only when the Remote Installation service starts.

If you have multiple network adapters that require OEM drivers, follow the preceding steps for each adapter. Note that PXE clients that have included network adapter drivers are unaffected by these changes and can use this image for installation.