[project] uxp

Nuno Brito

uxpbeta

This project will create a customized multiboot XP Install DVD.

Steps that were automated:

• Copy all files from a Windows Source onto to a target folder
  • Add BCDW to be used a multiboot manager
  • Create in unattended mode a 5Mb sized WinRoot project and add to target folder
  • Create in unattended mode a full sized 300Mb LiveXP project and add to target folder
  • Process nLite addons found inside a sub-folder and attach them to a nLite profile
  • Process WUD (Windows Updates Downloader) update files and attach them to the nLite profile
  • Launch unattended nLite and customize the Windows source found on the target folder
  • Launch DriverPacks and silently add all selected driverpacks inside the target folder windows folder.
  • Create a ISO with mkisofs
  • Launch this ISO image with VirtualBox
  • Burn ISO image on DVD

uxp_04_initial_screen.png

Requirements:

• nLite is not included and should be installed on your computer before running this project
  • Spaces in path name are not fully supported - use a simple path like "c:\uxp" for example
  • You need a maximum of 4Gb disk space free on disk.
  • Windows XP SP2 PRO Install CD or files copied to a folder on disk
  • If running under Vista you need to disable UAC to build this project.

Download page:

http://winbuilder.net/download.php?view.24

A full step-by-step gallery of screenshots can be found here:

http://winbuilder.net/e107_plugins/autogal...=Projects/uxp

Possible bugs:

• It seems that the FileCopy command is not working correctly on the first script under some conditions (Projects\uxp\Basic\2-CopyFiles.script) - solution - manually copy your Windows CD files to the target folder
    uxp_10_script_01_copyfiles.png
    ---------------------------------
  • I hadn't tested on a folder with spaces on path name before uploading so it might be buggy - solution - use a path like "c:\uxp"
    uxp_03_explorer_all_files.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This project will take around 30~50 minutes until it is completed - all steps should be done in complete unattended mode without requiring any user interaction.

- Initial boot screen

uxp_08_emulation_bcdw.png

- LiveXP environment

pv_uxp_08_emulation_livexp.png

- Windows XP Install

uxp_08_emulation_xp_install.png

-----------------------

If needed - each script can be executed individually by pressing on the "green" play button

The download package is sized in nearly 600Mb because it includes all driverpacks available and around 300Mb worth of freeware applications - it wasn't meant to be light - just a big and heavy XP install that I could use for everyday OS install on new machines without need to worry about drivers or installing some of my favourite programs.

List of included addons (programs that are installed when the XP setup is running):

• ProgramAddons Ccleaner_201.cab
  • ProgramAddons DriveImage XML 1.21.cab
  • ProgramAddons FileZilla 3.0.4.1.cab
  • ProgramAddons Firefox 2.0.0.11.cab
  • ProgramAddons Java Runtime Environment 6 Update 3.cab
  • ProgramAddons Notepadplus 4.6.cab
  • ProgramAddons OpenOffice 2.3.0.cab
  • ProgramAddons PuTTY 0.60.cab
  • ProgramAddons QT_Alt-211.cab
  • ProgramAddons RealVNC 4.1.2.cab
  • ProgramAddons Recuva 1.06.132.cab
  • ProgramAddons Spybot Search _ Destroy 1.5.cab
  • ProgramAddons Tiny Hexer 1.8.1.6.cab
  • ProgramAddons TUGZip 3.4.0.2.cab
  • ProgramAddons Unlocker185.cab
  • XPizeDarkside21.exe
  • XP_Codec_Pack-232.cab

This project allowed me to build a 1,4Gb XP Install DVD that I burned onto a 8cm mini-DVD/rw and carry everywhere to use whenever needed.

Please remember that this is the initial beta release and I would really appreciate any feedback regarding this project in order to make things work better - thank you in advance for your comments about it.

:)

Edited by Nuno Brito

Hi benxhi, glad to hear it worked good on your computer.

Which OS do wish to include?

The multboot section is handled by BCDW and you can edit BCDW.ini in order to include other OS's and then re-create a new ISO (you open the "finish" folder and run the script called "Create ISO")

The documentation for BCDW provides a lot of examples to quickly learn how to use it.

---------

If you wish to automate this step then you can write a script to automatically add another OS when building a fresh image.

One of the multiboot options is WinRoot (the XP sized on 5Mb), take a look on the script - I'll mark on red what needs to be modified to match the values of the OS you wish to use:

[main]

Title=WinRoot

Description=Add a liveCD sized in 5Mb that starts in Windows NCLI mode (Native Command Line Interface)

Selected=True

Level=2

Version=1

Date=2007-NOV-28

Author=Boot land community

Contact=http://boot-land.net/forums

Download_Level=1

// %liveCD% can only have 4 characters

[variables]

%liveCD%=Root

%project_folder%=WinRoot

[process]

FileRename,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\%project_folder%\Target\%project_folder%\I386","%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\%project_folder%\Target\%project_folder%\%liveCD%"

If,ExistFile,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\%project_folder%\Target\%project_folder%\bootsect.bin",FileDelete,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\%project_folder%\Target\%project_folder%\bootsect.bin"

Echo,"Copy all files to our target directory"

FileCopy,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\%project_folder%\Target\%project_folder%\*.*","%targetdir%\","Show"

Echo,"Restore older original folder name"

FileRename,"%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\%project_folder%\Target\%project_folder%\%livecd%","%basedir%\Projects\MultiBoot\%project_folder%\Target\%project_folder%\I386"

//

run,%scriptfile%,add_multiboot

[add_multiboot]

// Was BCDW processed before?

If,NotExistFile,%targetdir%\BCDW\bcdw.ini,Exec,%ProjectDir%\Basic\3-MultiBoot-BCDW.script,process

// Ensure we don't repeat the same step so delete any previous entries

TXTReplace,"%targetdir%\BCDW\bcdw.ini","\%liveCD%\setupldr.bin ; %project_folder%",""

TXTAddLine,"%targetdir%\BCDW\bcdw.ini","\%liveCD%\setupldr.bin ; %project_folder%","Append"

The above script will copy the contents of a folder called "WinRoot" (you can change this name to something else) inside the multiboot folder to the root of your image then it will write setupldr.bin to bcdw.ini

It can be used to include other Windows XP / 2003 Install CD's/Boot Disks.

Well looks like I made a mistake with my last ISO :D i forgot to check the make boot CD wizard and the ISO wasn't right just fixed it :D

I do not seem to be able to create a new script :( it has no location!)

You can make a copy of an already existent script and then modify it with notepad or any other text editor.

The only important value to change is the "title" inside the [main] section.

Example:

[main]
Title=My Program
Description=my Program will be added on the project
Selected=True
Level=5
Version=1

---

One other way is clicking inside wb: Advanced --> Create new script

But the above tool is meant for app scripts: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/Creating-a...ript-t2665.html

App scripts add programs on the LiveXP, VistaPE or any other projects that understand that script language. It works a bit like addons for nLite but specific to boot disks.