Slipstream of SP3 into MCE05 -> Version downgrade?

I have had issues intergrating SP3 RC2 with the MCE. On the first attempt I ended up with Win XP Pro installed and no Media Center.

The second attempt had issues during the install phase and ended up with even less functionality. With it not being the final release going to wait before I move on to intergration of the service pack. If you must rather just install the service pack on a MCE machine with at least SP2 installed there are known issues with SP1 and I bet plenty more unknown issues. At least you will be able to uninstall it if needed. I don't think they have updated the windows update site to handle SP2 RC2 yet, when checking for updates only MSR Tool and Dot Net updates are shown but when trying to install MP11 I requires MCE update rollup. SP2 RC2 seems pretty much up to spec for XP but maybe not for XP MCE yet.

• 1 month later...

this not downgrade but sp3 overwrite MEDCTROC.INF of MCE 2005 by MEDCTROC.INF OF WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL

SO wait till microsoft produce sp3 for MCE 2005

OR COMPARE BETWEEN BOTH INFs and update the old original MEDCTROC.INF of mce 2005 then replace the new MEDCTROC.INF of sp3 with the original updated MEDCTROC.INF of mce 2005

Edited by ehabg

Neo, if i merged the both disks with nlite into one DVD-RW, no chance using that with SP3 (nLite feature of slipstream)?

BTW I'm just before selling my MCE, but would help my friend (the new user) with it (decision of him no clear yet...!

Edited by ChrisKuhli

• 2 weeks later...

I have combined both MCE 2005 cd's into 1 installation folder and then slipstreamed SP3 into it. Then I replaced the medctroc.in_ and medctroc.dl_ with the original files from the cd and then put this on a dvd. During the setup it asked for napclientprov.mof. If I press cancel it does not install the media center components.

Has anyone gotten around this problem?

Edited by Codename_Falcon

• 2 weeks later...

Don't even bother. In order for this to work correctly you first need to integrate Update Rollup 2 and then the October 2006 Update Rollup. In order to integrate UR2 you first need to integrate the .NET Framework 2.0. There is no way to actually integrate .NET 2.0 so the UR2 integration only partially installs. Maybe someone can figure out how to fix this and then we can all be happy with integrated SP3 MCE05 discs but until someone can get UR2 and the Oct. 2006 UR into the installation there is no way to do it.

• 2 months later...