WS2008 for next version?

rebelo

Nuhi,

sorry for asking. But would you know by now if we'll have WS2008 support in the next version of vlite?

if not, I think I'll go back to Vista; but I was really wondering if we could have WS2008 in a vlited way :)

Thanks.

the same issue as always: it breaks the 'add components' option.

and without that, you can't install Aero. which I really like.

it seems there's a solution to integrate Aero in WS2008 RTM prior to installing it, but it's too complicated and it requires WAIK. That's a no-go for most people, including me.

thanks.

the same issue as always: it breaks the 'add components' option.

and without that, you can't install Aero. which I really like.

it seems there's a solution to integrate Aero in WS2008 RTM prior to installing it, but it's too complicated and it requires WAIK. That's a no-go for most people, including me.

thanks.

Well, here's how I like to look at it. Vista SP1 = S2008 in codebase. There really is no fundamental difference between them in the core. That could not be said for XP and S2003 since MS didn't merge the codebases of the two with a service pack. MS however used the same S2003 codebase for XP64 so in a way, VistaSP1/S2008 is the same thing as S2003x64/XPx64. So I don't see why many people are trying to use S2008 as a desktop unless they need to use some of the Server functions in S2008 that aren't available in Vista. If that's your reason for doing so, then it's perfectly understandable. But besides that, it's a bigger pain to get all the Vista stuff working in S2008 after a vLite than it is to just vLite a VSP1 ISO.

ya i agree with Arneh

Actually 2k8 comes as a lite OS ( with s2k8 core) and allow user to add components.

if u wanna more remove from s 2k8 core use vlite. not to add

still u wanna s2k8 do the sysprep stuff.

install 2k8 add components u needed, sysprep it, capture wim, replace with install wim of dvd, vlite it

(i hope this works ,not tested, dunno what will happen)

Hi,

if you use WS2008 and VistaSP1, no matter how the same their codebase are, you'll notice the difference in overall performance and even in gaming. I can't speak for everyone, only for me. It's noticeable since the first minute.

I don't know how to use WAIK, that's why I asked here. And I've just noticed WAIK is almost 1GB to download. Perhaps I'll give it a try, since it seems no one has a different alternative.

Thanks for all the inputs.

people like me use s2008 instead of vista, because it's easier to add some features than remove almost all from vista ;)

the same thing goes with xp vs 2003, but i must admit that xp x64 is great too ^_^

waik is a nice way to make an unattended installation but it needs some work to be able to remove every feature.. aviv00 helped me out here with his little guide in 'Win server 2008' thread ;)

now just to get more info on every feature and the way is clear to enlite it the old school way (without vlite)

sign me up under a petition to nuhi for sLite (vLite for servers) ^_^

Hi,

if you use WS2008 and VistaSP1, no matter how the same their codebase are, you'll notice the difference in overall performance and even in gaming. I can't speak for everyone, only for me. It's noticeable since the first minute.

I don't know how to use WAIK, that's why I asked here. And I've just noticed WAIK is almost 1GB to download. Perhaps I'll give it a try, since it seems no one has a different alternative.

Thanks for all the inputs.

Nice I need to get my grubby little hands on a copy of Server 2k8. so you are saying in terms of gaming that OS is DX 10.1 capable especially since it has SP1 in it now?

Not to hijack the topic, but I am experimenting with the trial windows server 2k8 OS on my laptop so that if I like it I am gonna spring for a copy and use it on my machine. I downloaded the 32 bit trial and have been seeing if vLite can work on it. Right now obviously it will not work and I need to be careful with what I am doing. I am curious for those who vLited it succesfuly with the existing version of vLite, is there a guide you followed or was it hit and miss?

Also I saw this core thing in vLite. What are you supposed to select if you want none of the server features but just a really powerful workstaion OS? Should I start with the Standard Core?

Edited by suryad

well, I tried to install the core-only version of WS2008, using vLite and also without vLite. In both cases, I only get a blank DOS screen after the OS is installed and I have no idea how to proceed from there (ie.: how to install desktop?). So you may go and take your chances :)

well, I tried to install the core-only version of WS2008, using vLite and also without vLite. In both cases, I only get a blank DOS screen after the OS is installed and I have no idea how to proceed from there (ie.: how to install desktop?). So you may go and take your chances :)

There is no desktop to install for the Core version. The Core version is meant to be exactly that, a no-GUI command prompt only OS for specific server roles:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008...stallation.aspx